Marshmallow Fondant Variations

Decorating By MomofThree Updated 12 Apr 2005 , 1:37am by cakemommy

MomofThree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomofThree Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 11

OK - I'm on a roll today with my Forum questions! As I mentioned in other posts, I have experimented with the marshmallow fondant and been very pleased with the results, I was really surprised how easy it was to work with after the initial mess of mixing in the sugar. Now, I have some questions for anyone else who's tried it:

- Does anyone know if cocoa powder can be added to make a decent chocolate fondant? I was thinking substitute an amount in place of some of the powdered sugar, sifting the two together and then mixing into the marshmallow.

- Also, are there any other no-color flavorings for the fondant besides the vanilla, almond and butter?

- One more question, has anyone tried it with the jarred marshmallow cream instead of melting the marshmallows? I was just curious in case I get in a pinch and want to use what I have on hand. Not trying to be lazy, I don't want to waste the ingredients if someone else already knows this won't work.

Sorry it's lengthy, I appreciate any insight! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
heracastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heracastle Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 11

Well, I can't help with all the questions, but here's one.

You can get different flavorings like peppermint and such in the candy section.

I would like the know the answers to the other questions too. I've wondered about the marshmellow fluff too.

Happy Decorating,
Michelle

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 8:37am
post #3 of 11

Hi yes you can use the mm cream I did it worked just fine add no water
add powder sugar to mm cream and go! enjoy

-TenderHeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-TenderHeart Posted 5 Mar 2005 , 12:03am
post #4 of 11

"Bunnywoman" replied over at the Wilton forum--and maybe here too, I don't know--that she has tried many, many different flavors of the marshmallow fondant. And from what I've read, some people have had success with the marshmallow creme and others have not. The marshmallows work for me, though, and I live by "If it ain't broke. don't fix it" with this kind of thing, so I'll keep using them. Good luck, whatever you try. icon_smile.gif

-TenderHeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-TenderHeart Posted 5 Mar 2005 , 12:09am
post #5 of 11

I just found the post and thread on the Wilton board I was thinking of. It's from August 26th, 2004, and in it, Bunnywoman writes (quote):

"I have a tip for you on it too. I have been experimenting with it and tried using Loriann Oil flavorings to enhance it and WOW!!!!! I love that too. What I did was I placed 3-4 drops of the flavoring in my tablespoon FIRST and then carefully adding the remaining water (to total 1 tbsp) so as not to splash out and lose some of the flavoring.

I made Bavarian cream, caramel, pecan, chocolate hazelnut..........oh my gosh I am in marshmallow heaven!!!!!!!!!!"
(end quote)

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 11

I was curious about how to add cocoa to the marshmallow fondant to make it work, as well.

Teisha45177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teisha45177 Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 11

I cannot seem to find the recipe on this site. Mybe I'm just doing it wrong. Can you email me the recipe at [email protected].

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 11

You can add melted chocolate or cocoa powder to the MMF and just adjust the amount of water as necessary!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 11
greencargirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greencargirl Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 1:19am
post #10 of 11

i found some of those oils here: http://www.shopbettys.com/detail.aspx?ID=108
but these are all with no color right? they look pretty colored to me, i just wanted to make sure before buying it that it won't change the mmf a color

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 1:37am
post #11 of 11

I have those oils and most of them are either a light yellow color, clear, red, or like the Coffee, a brown. I haven't tried the coffee but the Raspberry did slightly give my frosting a really pale pink color! Hope this helps!!!!!!!

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%