Is Castor Sugar The Same As

Decorating By nickymom Updated 27 Jan 2007 , 2:47pm by nickymom

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 15

"extra fine" sugar sold in the states?

Thanks in advance for anyone who may know.

14 replies
ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 15

http://www.ochef.com/580.htm

It is actually superfine...

The link explains what it is.

mrssambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrssambo Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 15

I am not too sure - but castor sugar is fine granulated sugar - so I am guessing it would be.

I hope someone else knows the exact answer for you.

nickymom Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks ladies'.

nickymom Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 15

Okay iIguess my next question is ....where do I buy "super fine" sugar from? I don't think regular grocery stores carrry it do they?

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 15

I just whizzed up some regular granulated sugar in a food processor to make it finer. '

Courtny

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 15

I actually found some in the sugar isle at our local kroger believe it or not! icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 15

In my local stores, C&H packages superfine sugar in 1lb boxes. They also have what they call 'Bakers sugar' in 5lb bags. this is finer that regular granulated sugar. It dissolves faster.

You can put regular sugar in the food processor to create a superfine sugar.

nickymom Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 11:07pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks everyone. I'll have to look in Kroger and if they don't have it I'll invest in a food processor.

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 12:42pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickymom

Okay iIguess my next question is ....where do I buy "super fine" sugar from? I don't think regular grocery stores carrry it do they?

I didn't think I would be able to find it where I live, but I went to the Dominos website (they make it) and after you go to the "superfine sugar" page, you can look up which stores in your area carry it. Only one grocery store (Acme) relatively close to me has it, but that's good enough! I haven't bought any yet and haven't compared prices; it may be cheaper to just put regular sugar in the food processor.

-Lisa

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 12:45pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaPaloma

http://www.ochef.com/580.htm

It is actually superfine...

The link explains what it is.

Thanks for the link, I didn't know those two were the same thing! I think I've seen castor sugar at Target icon_confused.gif I'll double check next time I go.

-Lisa

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 1:07pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:

Thanks everyone. I'll have to look in Kroger and if they don't have it I'll invest in a food processor.

Just curious Nickymom, what are you going to be using castor sugar for?
I use castor sugar for all my baking but that's because i buy it in bulk so it's just convenient to get just one type, in reality i only need it when i make buttercakes, mudcakes turn out fine with any type of granulated sugar.

happy baking
Nati

nickymom Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:32pm
post #13 of 15

Nati I was actually wanting to get it to make the mud cake recipe you posted! But you say any granulated sugar will do for that recipe? You just use the castor because that's the sugar you use all the time becuase you buy in bulk.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:43pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:

Nati I was actually wanting to get it to make the mud cake recipe you posted! But you say any granulated sugar will do for that recipe? You just use the castor because that's the sugar you use all the time becuase you buy in bulk.

Yup that's right, regular granulated sugar works fine. Just one more thing on my recipes here on CC, they have the wrong temperature and baking time icon_redface.gif
The temp should be 160degrees celcius, and the baking time 1hr+
I think i had no brain on the day i posted those, unfortunately they can't be fixed for the moment icon_sad.gif
Nati

nickymom Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:47pm
post #15 of 15

Oh Ok Nati I'll change the degree & cook time in my notes then! Thanks so much...I'm glad you saw this thread.

Thanks to everyone else for their help and for the links. Atleast now I know what Caster is and where I may possible get it from if I ever need to.

Thanks y'all!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%