mrssambo Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone,
I have been asked to replicate this cake that I did last weekend. My biggest issue is that I want to change the colours for the next cake - something bright but cant think of colour combinations - have dawn a blank.

I am also making it 2 tier rather than 3 so it will just be stripes on the bottom and circles on the top. All ideas would be appreciated. I am thinking of doing a topper of some sort - as her name is charlotte and too long to do in letters. Thanks all.
LL

11 replies
jmt1714 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 12

you could do her name in letters still - as they are wired, how about letting some of them go off the side a bit. (still all attached to the top, but you can bend the wires a bit)

mrssambo Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 12

The letters are quite big and considerably heavy - I could always stand them between the layers or make it circular on top - with maybe stars on the wires.

What colour suggestions do you have for the cake - pink, orange, yellow? I dont know, just thinking here.

That is what is great about CC - everyone else can help out with ideas. BTW she is turning 3 and is a real girly girl and loves Dora - yet doesnt want a dora cake if that makes sense.

Brendansmum Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 12

I did a cake in yellow, pink and a dark sage green. I think it looks girly. It's the ballet cake in my photos. I don't have a suggestion as to a topper though, sorry.

kelly75 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 12

I think pink and purple is always a good combo - especially for a girly girl! (my 3 year old DD's room is pink and purple!)

Kelly

mjoyce7020 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 12

Does she like The Little Mermaid? you could use an under the sea type color theme--yellow, greens, blues. Maybe put a mermaid on top with some shells and fish around the tiers......just a thought. Good luck!

Crimsicle Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 12

I'd ask tghe mom what invitation/decorations are being used for the party and take my color cues from that. That way, in pictures, your cake will look so "designer" and coordinated.

As for her name...what about laying the letters flat on the board so that they curve around the bottom tier? You could put whatever goes with the party theme/design on wires coming out of the top. Or a chocolate or FBCT plaque.

In general, I'm all for coordinating everything at the party.

mrssambo Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:37pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks everyone - as for the coordinating the invites etc - it is a friend and she has just emailed all the preschool kids parents - a mailing list and invited them that way, so no real coordinating to do there. The centre has a 'party room' she has never been so doesnt know what it looks like.

As for the mermaid theme - that is a grea idea.

I thought I might do something balletish - Brendansmum suggested her cake to look at and that just reminded me that she is starting ballet this year and is getting ballet shoes for her birthday. It might just be the perfect thing.

So that is the topper sorted - now for the actual design. It is 2 tier - fondant everything not sure what everything is just yet - this is when I need all your help.

7yyrt Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 12

I don't know about colors, except for pink; but ribbon roses might replicate the roses on so many tutus. You could put them on the circle tier?

2sdae Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 12

If you want primary bright try red, yellow blue, or white and red with silver accents? Just some different thoughts.

angelcakesmom Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:37pm
post #11 of 12

pink, green & purple or pink, green & white look nice together.

good luck!

caryl Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 7:59pm
post #12 of 12

Definitely pink if you are doing a ballet theme, and add a minty green and white. I love girly cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%