How Are You Saving A Buck These Days

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 29 Jul 2015 , 12:11am by -K8memphis

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 10

there's an older thread with this subject but i can't find it so i thought i'd start a new one because i know there's some good information out there --

how are you saving a buck these days?

9 replies
-K8memphis Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 10

so i'll go first unless norasmom beats me to it again ;)

but i have an update -- we finally pulled the plug on cable tv -- he loves golf and previously we had to have this $110/mo plan in order to have the golf channel with direct tv -- but no more!

i got on channel master dot com and figured out which type of antenna we need by just answering some questions -- it was easy -- then my husband slapped it up there -- we were able to use the (physical) cable that direct tv used to come in on -- so that was convenient --

i bought a mast for it (aka long pole) but we just anchored the antenna to the eave -- (bought the eave attachment) there's two channels that would probably come in better* if we did get the mast up but we're good -- maybe when the trees leaf out we'll need to install the mast but it's great --

it's a better picture than cable -- how 'bout them apples

*they sometimes blink off & on for just a second --we're happy we got some tv -- and we are saving a ton! 

the antenna, mast and eave attachment was under $100 with shipping and tax -- we pay zippo per month --

insert big fat happy grin hahahaha

oftheeicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oftheeicing Posted 7 Apr 2015 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 10

Well.... for one, I refrain from hunting during deer season!  :-)

-K8memphis Posted 7 Apr 2015 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 10

Quote by @oftheeicing on 1 hour ago

Well.... for one, I refrain from hunting during deer season!  :-)

omg -- i'm like what? wha-at? then i got it -- omg you did not say that hahahahahahah

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 3:18am
post #5 of 10

Personally or professionally?

-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 9:38am
post #6 of 10

both either

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 10

@-K8memphis  even in my Golden years I continue to maintain a budget and use frugal shopping practices, just as we did when we were young and had very little money.

buy in bulk & use a food saver & tupperware.  buy on sale and buy extra (clothes shoes sheets towels), live within our means, save up for special things (vacation & cake decorating goodies),  learn the difference between 'want' & 'need'.  My car's 15 years old now, still running ok. Most people have bought and paid for several cars, not me.  Pay cash for lots of things so you don't run up credit card interest.

I'll not go hunting like @oftheeicing  and continue to save a buck.  There are few things that feel as safe & warm & wonderful as having your wash machine break down and have enough cash in your sock drawer to be able to replace it immediately.

Norasmom2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom2 Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 1:18am
post #8 of 10

Save a few hundred thousand by having just one kiddo…wanted more, but mother nature said not a good idea.  : )  Kids are pricey little things!  I also clean my own house and iron all of my husband's shirts to save on dry-cleaning.  Most of my friends have housekeepers and dry-cleaning but I think they are too expensive (and I would have to clean before the housekeeper com

I'm really bad at conserving money.  I really do need to do a better job saving a buck.  I SHOULD:

-cancel cable

-spend less on oil by keeping my house cooler (living in New England, I refuse to not be warm in the house)

-keep A/C on low

-eat out less!

-Should and actually will do are two different things!

I used to do really well with my finances when I was working and single.   Fortunately, I managed to save my daughter's college tuition while I was working full-time, so there is less worry in that regard.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 9:14pm
post #9 of 10

I dumpster dive and shop at Goodwill & Craig's List!  Below are links that will take you to my photo site.  I got 2 metal wall shelves and a desk lamp for my office area .... by my dumpster.  I got an entire dining room table and 4 chairs that someone, who was moving out of our apartment complex, just put by the dumpster.  I found a black wrought iron lamp with a design that matched my living room tables at Goodwill for $6.  

We bought a leather couch, loveseat, easy chair, large glass top coffee table and 2 big endtables off of Craig's List for $600 .... way less than what we would have paid just for the leather couch.  

If you have a Macy's close to you, watch for their big sales and go thru the 75 and 80% off racks.  I frequently get hundreds of dollars worth of clothes for under $50 ... and THEN I get to use my employee discount on top of that!!  Got my daughter a NorthFace winter coat for only $29 there.  That was the price that any of you would have paid ..... not just because I work there less than part time.

It's almost May .... I plan to stalk the local colleges.  When kids go home, they line the sidewalks with stuff free for the taking.  I have a cousin who is a professor who told me she got 3 sets of sheets still in the packaging doing this!

Craig's List furniture:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/17111735242/ 

Dumpster Dived Dining Room Set:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/17113248075/ 

Dumpster DIved SHelves and Lamp:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/16927012889/ 

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 12:11am
post #10 of 10

it is staggeringly hot here right now so all the cooking and clothes drying work not only against our comfort level but it makes the air conditioning work even harder to keep up -- and thank god for the ac

but all that to say -- i bought a toaster oven -- it has a bake, toast, convection and a rotisserie  that I can set outside on the metal patio furniture and plug in and not heat up my house --

it was only $39 that's nearly the best part but for the cost all those crazy features uner $40? pretty cool ha! literally <big grin>

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%