Two Cake Layers In Same Oven. One Raw Center. Help!

Baking By Crystal239 Updated 8 Apr 2015 , 1:34am by Crystal239

Crystal239 Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 3

Hi. Newbie baker here with  2 fat daddio 9 inch cake pans. I baked both layers at 350 for 30 mins per the wilton website, rotated the pans halfway through, tested the cakes with a toothpick (both came out clean), waited 10 mins to turn the cakes out of their pans, and one of the cakes had a raw center on top. I noticed that the centers of the cakes were sinking while cooling (the raw one more than the other) but I figured it would be ok when I level the cakes. Obviously I have to throw this cake away but I'd like some tips to prevent this from happening in the future. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!  

2 replies
Jinkies Posted 7 Apr 2015 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 3

Well, here's my two cents.  1st- try not to open the oven door much while baking.  Every time you open the oven, you are throwing the heat off which can cause your cakes to sink.

2nd- If your pans were not filled with an equal amount of batter, one will take longer to bake.  A tiny amount of extra batter in one pan can require a minute or two more baking time.  It's ok to take one pan out and leave the other in a tad bit longer. You should be taking your cakes out based on "doneness" not baking times.  Check with a toothpick and if one is still raw, leave that one in. 

3rd-It's a great idea to get an oven thermometer, if you don't have one.  I was having trouble with my cakes and realized my oven was running about 19 degrees off.  No biggie, I just set the oven for 330 instead of 350.  You can buy a thermometer really cheap. I think I got mine at Walmart for about $5-8 or so.

Hope this helps.  I have been there and these tips worked for me. Good luck!

Crystal239 Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 1:34am
post #3 of 3

It does help a lot!  Thank you for taking the time to reply. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%