Shop Bought Fondant Not Sweet

Decorating By Rabzini Updated 7 Apr 2015 , 2:48pm by Rabzini

Rabzini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rabzini Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone,

I am new to this website and have only signed up having trouble with some fondant.

I purchased some store bought fondant to model with but it tastes extremely plastic- Anyway I can sweeten this fondant at home without having to go and look for another one? I bought a huge packet with lots of colours.

-Also I am not a professional just a baking enthusiast haha

would appreciate the help- thanks x 

2 replies
TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 7 Apr 2015 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 3

Warning, I am not a fan of fondant; never liked the taste.  That said, most fondant does not have a good taste anyway but if you bought a "cheaper" one, it will definitely not be good.  I have experimented with adding flavors and it makes the fondant very sticky and difficult to knead.  Powdered sugar is needed to help absorb the stickiness.  

Are you using the fondant to mold or to cover cakes?  If you are wanting a better tasting fondant, I would try making your own marshmallow fondant.  It is inexpensive to make and the flavor is so much better than store bought fondant.  You can color it as many colors as you like with gel pastes.  If you are molding, I would make modeling chocolate with white chocolate chips; this flavor is much better than fondant.

Lauren Kitchens makes a great modeling chocolate:  http://www.craftsy.com/recipe/modeling-chocolate

Jessica Harris has a fabulous marshmallow fondant:  http://www.craftsy.com/recipe/marshmallow-fondant

If I buy fondant, I use Fondx.  It is the closest thing I have found to a marshmallow fondant taste.  It is pricier than a Satin Ice but worth it to me.

Rabzini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rabzini Posted 7 Apr 2015 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much for your answer! Yes I am using it for covering cakes so I wanted the taste to be more sweeter but thanks for the links and the tips- will definetly try it out. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%