countrycakes Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 11:57am
post #1 of

icon_surprised.gif I am beginning to get a bit nervous of this cake.....it's due in March. I am wondering does it HAVE TO BE IN FONDANT or can I do some fondant/some buttercream? The customer is not crazy of fondant.....and I am beginning to panic a wee bit..... icon_confused.gif
Any suggestions are appreciated....I know the 'topsyturvy' is going to be almost difficult to decorate in buttercream...but can it be done with a little effort?

10 replies
lapazlady Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 12:21pm
post #2 of

I don't see why it can't be done in Buttercream. Having it smooth is the biggest concern, I'd think. Attaching decorations to BC isn't all that troublesome. You can make the decorations out of gumpaste with wire, and then they'll adher very well. Place the wire in straws so it doesn't touch the food. Cakes are decorated all the time using BC, you'll be just fine.

countrycakes Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 12:33pm
post #3 of

icon_smile.gif This is what she wants:

1st. tier: Chocolate icing with fuschia and lime green polka dots ( Dots could be of fondant) if needed

2nd tier: Chocolate icing with wavy stripes of fuschia and lime green stripes..again, fondant

3rd tier: Java Blue diamonds (think Vera Bradley purse here!) icon_wink.gif on chocolate icing. Quite interesting.....very different!

I am thinking that I can do fondant and bc...still in the works here. icon_smile.gif

I know the smoothing is an issue.....going to attempt to do a dummy with it and see what happens. icon_smile.gif

lapazlady Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 12:46pm
post #4 of

Most of the decorating can be done in Buttercream, if you prefer. The diamonds are what I see as the most desirable out of fondant, sharp corners and such. I agree, a different idea, I look forward to seeing the pics.

fronklowes Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 11:02pm
post #5 of

You can absolutely do this in buttercream with fondant accents. Just smooth your icing well and make sure to mark your diamonds before the icing is too dry so it doesn't crack on you. The topsy turvy fourth of July cake in my pics is buttercream with fondant accents.

crisseyann Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 11:18pm
post #7 of

Here is a topsy turvy cake I did in buttercream with fondant accents. It was pretty easy to do. I used a good crusting buttercream and smoothed with a Viva towel. Good luck! icon_smile.gif
LL

countrycakes Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 1:03pm
post #8 of

thumbsdown.giftapedshut.gificon_cry.gif Talked to the mom yesterday....and the young Sweet 16 only has a guest list of.............

25! icon_cry.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gif Now how in the world am I supposed to make a small enough 3 tier cake for 25 people?! I told her that they might have to eat a lot of cake. She laughed...and said sure! I have heard how good that your cakes are.....and I am going from there. Sigh.....I was kind of hoping for at least a large group of partygoers....who might get to see what I can do. Guess I set myself up for disappointment from the start.......but I still have to make $ to do this......so I will still be going to do the tiers. icon_sad.gif

At least she has heard how good my stuff is.....that's a positive. I was just thinking of my first big Mad Hatter being BIG! icon_cry.gificon_sad.gificon_rolleyes.gif

jtka1972 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 3:02pm
post #9 of

I had the same problem with the small guest list and ended up buying pans 2",3",4" off ebay for layer one. It still turned out to be alot of cake.
This was my 1st Topsey Turvey. I did mine in fondant, NEVER again! I am a BC icing decorator and not gifted to using fondant. Here is a pic of my cake, it slumped. My supports weren't too good. I would definately say BC wouldn't be hard, just make sure you let it crust well.
LL
LL

JackSkellington11 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 6:55pm

I think that it would be just fine. Just make sure that you dont have all of the layers pointing to one side, or they might start to slide off. Just cut them so they are some what centered. Good Luck! Make sure to post a picture so we can all see how it turned out!

Casey

sweet_as_tisse Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 1:11am

check out this link, there are lots of mad hatter/topsy turvey cakes.. Most of them seem to be done in buttercream.

http://www.cinderellacakes.com/madhatter.htm

kylie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%