Decorating By Jalapenocheese Updated 8 Apr 2015 , 4:25am by Jalapenocheese

Jalapenocheese Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 10

Hi guys

I am mildly obsessed with these types of cakes:

Cake 1

Cake 2

Cake 3

I've tried looking for tutorials on how to make the flowers. Some I think I can replicate (like the roses using 104 tips) but what about the other flowers? Specifically the ranunculuses on Cake 3. Does anyone know what tip was used? And also the green buds, was it a round tip that was used? 

To get the ruffled rose petals look in Cake 1, was a 104 tip used to achieve that look or a different piping tip?

I would appreciate any input. Thank you!

9 replies
Jalapenocheese Posted 7 Apr 2015 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 10

Nothing? Anyone? :(

-K8memphis Posted 7 Apr 2015 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 10

well i've never made a ranunculus (on purpose*) but i could probably get there with a rose tube -- i should make some buttercream and see what i could come up with...we'll see...

i've piped a lot of 'gardenias' when i was trying to pipe roses and i've made my fair share of cabbage roses which stongly resembles the flower you love -- a rose tube would get you there -- looks like a nice fat star tip in the center-- some horizontal petals surrounding that to give it the roundedness then the outside petals laid over those exposing the star tip --

ellavanilla Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 1:20am
post #4 of 10

those flowers seem to be made with fondant or gumpaste. 

if you're trying to make them in buttercream, this cake designer offers classes in her buttercream flowers

https://www.facebook.com/Mahas.Kakes?fref=ts

shaloop Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 1:57am
post #5 of 10

They are definitely buttercream. Very popular now. I'd suggest a craftsy class. I don't know how to do them either, but I'd love to learn.  I whipped up some practice buttercream, a practice board, lots of different tips and you tube videos and just made an afternoon of going at it!

Jalapenocheese Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 2:01am
post #6 of 10

Quote by @ellavanilla on 33 minutes ago

those flowers seem to be made with fondant or gumpaste. 

if you're trying to make them in buttercream, this cake designer offers classes in her buttercream flowers

https://www.facebook.com/Mahas.Kakes?fref=ts

They are buttercream but tutorials are pretty much non-existent. I have seen Maha's cakes and unfortunately, she doesn't offer online classes. 

Jalapenocheese Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 2:04am
post #7 of 10

Quote by @shaloop on 4 minutes ago

They are definitely buttercream. Very popular now. I'd suggest a craftsy class. I don't know how to do them either, but I'd love to learn.  I whipped up some practice buttercream, a practice board, lots of different tips and you tube videos and just made an afternoon of going at it!

Shaloop, if you follow Cake Style on Youtube she just released the first of buttercream flower cakes! I'm so excited! 

Jalapenocheese Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 2:05am
post #8 of 10

Quote by @-K8memphis on 13 hours ago

well i've never made a ranunculus (on purpose*) but i could probably get there with a rose tube -- i should make some buttercream and see what i could come up with...we'll see...

i've piped a lot of 'gardenias' when i was trying to pipe roses and i've made my fair share of cabbage roses which stongly resembles the flower you love -- a rose tube would get you there -- looks like a nice fat star tip in the center-- some horizontal petals surrounding that to give it the roundedness then the outside petals laid over those exposing the star tip --

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, K8memphis! I will experiment on the rose petal tips and hopefully you can come back with your ranunculus buttercream experiment! 

Natka81 Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 4:22am
post #9 of 10

"100 Buttercream flowers" by Valery Valeriano and Chritina Ong.

at Amazon.com

Look it up. I just recently got this book it is totally worth it. 

Jalapenocheese Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 4:25am
post #10 of 10

Quote by @Natka81 on 2 minutes ago

"100 Buttercream flowers" by Valery Valeriano and Chritina Ong.

at Amazon.com

Look it up. I just recently got this book it is totally worth it. 

Thanks. I have my eye on the book - it's not out yet (at least from where I live.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%