Please Don't Touch The Cake!

Decorating By Gingerlocks Updated 11 Apr 2015 , 9:19pm by indydebi

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 15

Has anyone noticed that people suddenly get really "handsy" when it come's to custom cakes..particularly the fondant ones. I brought a cake to an Easter brunch this morning and it was destroyed before it was cut..because everyone just had to touch it! I get it didn't look like a "cake", but jeeze! And It wasn't just kids; adults too. This isn't the first time it's happened either..I've had feedback from brides that the cake was beautiful, but got "poked" by the guests and got wrecked..what the ' ? 

I guess today was particularly annoying because I saw it with my own eyes..and didn't want to tell a grown man to please stop poking my cake!~

14 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 12:02am
post #2 of 15

It would be doubtful that they have that problem in the UK or AU where fondant covered cakes are more common.  In the US they just look fake to most people, as they are not routinely sold in stores & bakeries.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 5:43am
post #3 of 15

Lol, sorry!

I know what you mean...

When I make my kids birthday cakes I see it first had too! Some kids where frightened last year to come round the table to sing happy birthday because they thought it's a real king cobra and the other year I had kids stroking the cow (the cake) and one burst out in tears when we cut it. DRAMA!

But ADULTS poking a wedding cake? Seriously guys? What's going on in their minds? Besides...germ-o-mania! Yikes!!!

DanaNZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaNZ Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 10:20am
post #4 of 15

I made a pond cake with the frog prince and a garden fairy for my daughters 6th birthday recently.  The fairy was gumpaste, very small, and drinking a tea cup of pink tea. It took a long time to get it just so.

I stood in my kitchen for a good 15 minutes holding that flimmin teeny tiny tea cup in place until the glue set...only for someone to think poking it and saying "oooo a tiny tea cup" at the party was a good idea. 

Gingerlocks Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 15

Quote by @julia1812 on 8 hours ago

But ADULTS poking a wedding cake? Seriously guys? What's going on in their minds? Besides...germ-o-mania! Yikes!!!

That's what I always think! Like when's the last time they washed their hands? Plus I work really hard to maintain a clean kitchen environment so nothing contaminants the cakes. I kept thinking what if they poke a dog hair in there or something? Whoever ate it might think that came from my end...blah. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 15

monkey see monkey do -- bad manners all

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 15

Quote by @MBalaska on 14 hours ago

It would be doubtful that they have that problem in the UK or AU where fondant covered cakes are more common.  In the US they just look fake to most people, as they are not routinely sold in stores & bakeries.

Nope it happens in Australia too.  I have the problem with people touching the flowers that I make , because they are very realistic or people want to see what they are made out of.

I was brought up not to touch anything. Our children have also been brought up this way and so is the next generation.   We don't put breakables away we just teach them not to touch. Obviously not everyone has this upbringing anymore.  

Ellie Sunshine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie Sunshine Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 11:27pm
post #8 of 15

Yep, I'm in Australia and I have this all the time too!

I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to ask people not to touch because it is still cake and it will be served and eaten. 

I find flowers are the worst temptations for people, everyone loves to touch them and i cringe because i know how fragile they are! 

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 7 Apr 2015 , 5:32am
post #9 of 15

Yes I'm in Australia and last week I delivered a carpenter's toolbox cake - and apparently it was so realistic that the guy at the venue showing me where to deliver it kept tapping on the hardened fondant end panels - no matter how much I said "don't touch, that's cake, that's sugar, you'll break it", he kept going, insisting it was made of wood. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Most. stressful. delivery. EVER!

But the girls at my daughters' school never touch my cakes, they know it's cake, they're excited to look but someone has taught them manners!

Gingerlocks Posted 7 Apr 2015 , 1:29pm
post #10 of 15

Quote by @winniemog on 7 hours ago

But the girls at my daughters' school never touch my cakes, they know it's cake, they're excited to look but someone has taught them manners!

It's funny sometimes how the adults are the worst behaved and while their children have manners..its like some people get so focused on teaching their children to behave they forget to do it themselves!

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 2:38am
post #11 of 15

Ugh, I took a cake to my best friend's husbands b-day party a couple weeks ago. It was very pretty (if I do say so myself :p ) but simple. It was a cake surrounded by ladyfingers, and then covered with fresh raspberries on top to fill the gap between the top of the cake and the top of the ladyfingers. ANYWAY, all of his ill-behaved nieces and nephews were running around like mad, and as soon as they noticed the cake they were trying to steal raspberries from the top and pull off the ladyfingers. I cannot stand these children and they have no relation to me (nor do I have any obligation to be nice to them) so I had no trouble standing in the kitchen and speaking very firmly (ok, slightly harshly :p) to them whenever I saw fingers approaching. And of course all their parents were in another room completely ignoring them. Ugh, rant over, sorry.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 3:13pm
post #12 of 15

Oh, I have NO problem calling people out about poking cake.  "Please don't do that.  It's FOOD."  Someone's gonna eat that!"  

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 3:14pm
post #13 of 15

^ESPECIALLY adults.  Accompanied by a withering you're such a dumba$$ look.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 3:35pm
post #14 of 15

I was at a wedding fayre recently when a child ran up to my competition cake (which I had on display), pulled a bit off it, laughed, ran back to her parents, who promptly laughed as well.  Some people just have no respect.

On the flip side, I delivered a cake last weekend and two extremely excited little girls or about 6/7 yelled 'ooh, the cake' and began running full pelt towards it.  I prepared to act as human shield but was pleasantly releived to hear the older girl shout to the other one 'remember, we mustn't touch it, it's delicate!'  I was so relieved and couldn't help smile inside.  Slightly jokingly, I asked them if they would be 'cake guards' for the day and make sure noone touched it until the bride and groom cut it...and they both nodded.  I went out the room, came back a few minutes later and they were both stood there on either side of the cake, 'guarding' it!  Bless. 

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 9:19pm
post #15 of 15

Quote by @leah_s on 3 days ago

^ESPECIALLY adults.  Accompanied by a withering you're such a dumba$ look.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%