Black Red And White???

Decorating By kanwalaqdas Updated 11 Apr 2015 , 2:05pm by -K8memphis

kanwalaqdas Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 10:11am
post #1 of 11

Hey Lovelies!... I just got an order for a cake that needs to be an 8 inch round and covered in white buttercream with black and red.... i am thinking of making black piped scrolls and a red flower (gumpaste) ..... its hot ... i am from karachi pakistan and it has gotten pretty hot ... so what to do... my reservations are as follow:

1. How much and what type of butter should i use? Its a two layered cake.

2. I will be using black wilton color for piped scrolls.. will it seep into the white buttercream?

3. will the red from the flower seep in the white?

Please help!

10 replies
-K8memphis Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 11

making the buttercream icing with milk can help hold the colors -- i use real butter in my buttercream (and real vanilla) so it's not pure white and i explain that to my clients -- using royal icing might hold the black & red colors better but of course no milk in there --

my ingredients here in the u.s.  are much different than the ones you have there so keep that in mind too

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 11

oh wait -- if the flower is gum paste it shouldn't seep into the white -- 

kakeladi Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 12:58am
post #4 of 11

If you use a b'cream that crusts to cover the cake, let it crust up well before adding the black you shouldn't have any problem...but then I never have worked in the high humidity you are talking about.  And I'd think *ALL* the b'cream should be a crusting recipe.   

And yes, what k8 said about the flower - there should be NO seeping/bleeding there.

kanwalaqdas Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 4:52am
post #5 of 11

Thanx.. so K8memphis  .... ur saying i need to use black royal icing ... if so do i add cocoa powder to make it true back?

kakeladi... can i get a recipe for the buttercream?

kanwalaqdas Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 5:17am
post #6 of 11

can i refrigerate it after adding black?

-K8memphis Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 11

i test all my stuff before i freeze and refrigerate because each fridge, freezer and locality are different -- i am offering you options -- royal icing could prove to be more stable than black buttercream since you are concerned about colors weeping -- i've never used cocoa in royal icing that i can remember -- if i did i would sub it in for some of the powdered sugar -- the black color should get it to black from white no problem --

test it in your fridge and especially when it comes to room temp -- what you want to be careful with is letting your work come to room temp as gradually as possible so bringing it from freezer to fridge to room temp is best if you use the freezer -- i can put mine in & out my fridge/freezer --

and while there's no weeping of the color on gum paste as kakeladi says just depending on water content and how dry it gets and how humid the air and the fridge the flower could wilt -- you gotta test it ;)

kanwalaqdas Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 11

Thanx for such a detailed response.. love u loads k8.. muuah

-K8memphis Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 2:46pm
post #9 of 11

you're so welcome -- thanks!

happy caking to you

kanwalaqdas Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 1:41pm
post #10 of 11

Thanx all... phew done with the cake stayed the same.. no weeping on any color... thnx

-K8memphis Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 2:05pm
post #11 of 11

yay no weeping -- nice work -- good job -- very pretty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%