shipleyc Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 5:13am
post #1 of

I made a basketball (soccer ball pan) on top of a 10" 2 layer round. I managed to get it just off center when stacking the basketball on the round cake. Now the back side of the round cakes is starting to bulge. I have a large plastic dowel in the center of the cakes under the ball and have dowels through the center of the ball into the round cakes. This cake is for a Birthday party on Saturday! Will this be okay or am I in for major disaster?!?! Is this fixable? How?! Please help! I have never had a cake bulge before.

8 replies
gilpnh Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 5:32am
post #2 of

Did you dowel the lower cake for support and use a cake circle?? Is it iced yet??

shipleyc Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 5:36am
post #3 of

I did use a cake circle. I used a single 1" width dowel rod in the very center of the round cakes. I didn't see the need of doweling any more than that because only a little less than 4 inches of the ball is actually sitting on the cake. The cake is completely done.

gilpnh Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 5:41am
post #4 of

Bummer. Will there, or could there be any decorating the sides to cover up the bulging somewhat. I had a big bulge problem recently on my blue fondant stacked in my photos, constantly working it with my hands and an abundance of flowers helped. Afterwards I did a search in the forums and have come to the conclusion from them that I need to dam with a STIFF icing (not what I crumb coat with) and fill, then crumbcoat and let sit overnight. Hope you can pull off a save!!!

shipleyc Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 5:46am
post #5 of

I am not so worried about how the bulge looks because it is only in the back and is really not that terrible. I am more worried about it getting worse and causing the ball to roll off backwards. I didn't make that clear in my beginning post, sorry. Is that something I need to be concerned with?

melysa Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 5:46am
post #6 of

if there is any way to gently lift the ball off of the cake that would be a good idea. you really do need more dowels than one..i'd say at least 4, maybe five including the center dowel. if you can redowel, you can try to touch up the edges, if it doesnt work, you can cover the smudges with a border at the base of the ball. if its buldging now, honestly, i dont think it will survive until saturday.

good luck. thumbs_up.gif

shipleyc Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 5:49am
post #7 of

melysa, I was afraid someone was going to say that. I will attempt to move it and see what happens. I am really scared!!!

melysa Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:00am
post #8 of

use a really large strong spatula to lift it if you have one. is it bc or fondant?

if its bc, do you know how to use the viva paper towel to smooth it? you can touch it up with new icing and then re smooth.

shipleyc Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:07am
post #9 of

I think I have successfully moved it. It is still not exactly center, but it is only about 1/8th to 1/4 inch off center. I will see how it looks in the morning to see if it needs any more moving. I was afraid to try to completely move it due to the dowels that go through the ball into the round layers. I will add another one through the center to be safe.
BTW, it is all bc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%