Help!! What Happened To My Fondant?

Decorating By Maddie Cakes Updated 12 Apr 2015 , 6:17pm by GoWildCakes

Maddie Cakes Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 17

I made this cake for my son's birthday. I had my dowel in the middle, bubble t straws on the layers but for some reason my fondant on my bottom layer was bubbling out from the frosting. Almost like it wasn't sticking to it anymore. Ugh! This has happened a few other times too. It looks terrible and I would never serve that to a customer. Any tips are very appreciated since I am still new at this. Thanks

Amber

16 replies
Maddie Cakes Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 17

Quote by @Maddie Cakes on 1 second ago

I made this cake for my son's birthday. I had my dowel in the middle, bubble t straws on the layers but for some reason my fondant on my bottom layer was bubbling out from the frosting. Almost like it wasn't sticking to it anymore. Ugh! This has happened a few other times too. It looks terrible and I would never serve that to a customer. Any tips are very appreciated since I am still new at this. Thanks

Amber

Maddie Cakes Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 17

Quote by @Maddie Cakes on 1 second ago

Amber

How do I post a pic of it? I'm new to this. 

Pastrybaglady Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 17

Save your picture to the galleries and then cut and paste into the comments.

Maddie Cakes Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 5:47am
post #5 of 17
Maddie Cakes Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 5:48am
post #6 of 17
julia1812 Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 6:53am
post #7 of 17

Sometimes it can happen when you don't put something heavy on to of the filled cake to press icing and potential air bubbles out. You put it in the fridge, take it out, fondant on and - boom. Wabbly fondant! Can't explain the exact process, but that's the outcome.

What helps me is to place a cake board on top of the filled cake, heavy book(s) on top of that, let rest a while, then frost outside of cake, refrigerate, fondant on - pressing air out on top first, then working the sides, starting from top an pushing down along the sides.

Or did you have not enough buttercream/ ganache on the outside?

Can't see any picture unfortunately. Post it in the gallery and then copy and paste the link in here...

Maddie Cakes Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 8:39am
post #8 of 17

I copied and pasted the pics but yet didn't come through. They are in th gallery. Mickey Mouse cake.

Maddie Cakes Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 8:41am
post #9 of 17
kakeladi Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 1:09am
post #11 of 17

......it can happen when you don't put something heavy on top of the filled cake...........

In my 30+ yrs of decorating I never have done that.  I'm not saying it *might* help some but no way is it totally necessary :(

From her picture I'd say there was not proper support in the bottom tier.  And/or the fondant was too thick.  It's also possible the fondant was not pressed onto the cake enough.  You have to really rub it so it adheres.

it can happen when you don't put something heavy on to of the filled cake to press icing
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/789065/help-what-happened-to-my-fondant#qTg5f1flmoStSQzX.99
it can happen when you don't put something heavy on to of the filled cake to press icing
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/789065/help-what-happened-to-my-fondant#qTg5f1flmoStSQzX.99
Sometimes it can happen when you don't put something heavy on to of the filled cake to press icing
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/789065/help-what-happened-to-my-fondant#M6b7eSBrqsydgSjK.99
Sometimes it can happen when you don't put something heavy on to of the filled cake to press icing
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/789065/help-what-happened-to-my-fondant#M6b7eSBrqsydgSjK.99

Maddie Cakes Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 7:01am
post #12 of 17

Fondant was def not too thick....I don't think it was thick enough. I used a new frosting. Instead of basic buttercream I used a creamy textured strawberry buttercream. That shouldn't make the difference though, right?

ConnieCakes14 Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 10:54pm
post #13 of 17

Too much filling, maybe. Or filling too soft.

ConnieCakes14 Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 11:02pm
post #14 of 17

I've also had something similar happen to the top tier once, where it was leaning. The dowels I cut were too tall. It made the top tier wobble, making the dowels shift with movement and lean, some getting lost in the bottom tier. making the whole top tier lean towards the side that pretty much had no support due to fallen dowels.

sag494 Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 11:44pm
post #15 of 17

are you putting the cake in the fridge to get the frosting set up and cold? that happened to me when i put the fondant on right after frosting. you have to let the cake sit in the fridge or freezer, get the frosting hard, spray with a little water and then cover.

Maddie Cakes Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 3:45am
post #16 of 17

I tried to run the fondant to the buttercream do it would adhere good but it got wet and my fondant smoother would stick to it. Yes I def put it in fridge in between frosting and putting fondant on.

GoWildCakes Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 6:17pm
post #17 of 17

Cake should be room temp when you apply fondant.  Air expands as it warms up, so any small air pockets o a cool cake will expand.  With nowhere to go it forms a bubble.  I have taken a pin to air bubbles and used a smother to work the bulges out.

If you are trying to cool the frosting for fondant application, just leave it in the fridge for 10 mins or less, that way the cake isn't cold all the way through .

That is the lesson I learned through experience. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%