Poured Root Beer Cake

Sugar Work By cakesrock Updated 5 Apr 2015 , 8:51pm by -K8memphis

cakesrock Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 4:04am
post #1 of 6

I want to do a poured root beer cake and have heard of it done with both fondant and sugar. I'm wondering which is the best  way to do it?  Does the sugar actually look more realistic? Or is it better for beer and not something as dark as root beer? I have done some poured sugar work in the past so I'm comfortable with doing it. The fondant just seems simpler - I can paint it with confectioners' sugar after to get the glossy look...

Would appreciate any advice!

TIA

5 replies
-K8memphis Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 6

so a poured root beer cake -- you mean a sculpture, a tromp l'oeil where it's a visual that looks like root beer is being poured out onto/into something?

if you can do it with fondant it's so much safer than the hot sugar mess -- but yes the sugar is more realistic -- you  get the slightly see through iridescence of the root beer poured sugar -- for realism i'd do poured sugar -- for safety and ease of use i'd do fondant --

but i would use the poured sugar myself just be careful

cakesrock Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your reply! Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about. The cake will be the mug of root beer and it will look like a can of root beer is being poured into the cake from above. I will shape the sugar onto a dowel, once it has cooled enough. Have you tried this technique before? I found instructions on an old thread.

I think you are right- poured sugar will likely look more realistic. But because it's darker than beer, I'll probably  have to color it first. I don't think I could paint the poured sugar after it's hardened?

I'll try the poured sugar (and try not to burn myself) I have done it before and been fine. Isomalt burns are much worse - ouch! And if it doesn't end up working, I'll just do the fondant.

Thanks for the advice!

Terri

-K8memphis Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 6

i've used edible ink markers on poured sugar and i think i have painted on it too -- can't remember for sure about the paint but markers work great so paint should work --

but yes for sure color it first -- saves you a step -- why not -- and a famous sugar artist that i can't think of her name* told me to add the coloring before you get it to temp so the water boils out and doesn't mess you up and make your sugar sticky -- *susan notter it was that told me that

cakesrock Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 6

awesome - thanks for the advice!

-K8memphis Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 6

i'm remembering something about painting poured sugar -- i couldn't tell it was poured sugar anymore so why go to all the trouble if you disguise it with paint kwim?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%