Cleaning Up The Sides Of A White Cake

Baking By B-Line Updated 5 Apr 2015 , 8:36pm by -K8memphis

B-Line Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 7

I've never been asked for a white cake with vanilla frosting before, but it finally happened.

I'll be levelling the top and if necessary taking a thin layer off the bottom in order to get a nice white surface, but how do you clean the sides of a white cake so you don't see that golden crust line between cake and frosting?

I'm afraid if I take a knife to it, it'll end up lopsided or I'll end up with a much smaller cake than I baked.  Just wondering if anyone's found a fool proof way to do this.

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 7

i freeze the cake and just shave the sides down with a serrated knife all the way around the cake -- set it on a turntable and take off about a one inch wide stripe of cake at a time -- it's much easier than you think --

sometimes i'll bake a 9" cake in order to have a big generous 8" cake leftover -- because of course you loose about a half inch of cake in the oven anyhow so...it all works out -- 

4laynes Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 7

Yep, that's how it's done.  B-Line - how in earth have you dodged baking plain old boring white cakes until now?  That's all I'm ever asked for, they call it 'white wedding cake flavor'.  I'm making a chocolate one for my brother's birthday tomorrow and I'm actually excited!  Good luck with your trimming.

B-Line Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 1:57am
post #4 of 7

lol.  I got into the "business" after baking birthday cakes for a friend's kids for a few years.  She has a LARGE family and lots of friends and I was convinced to go pro when the oldest turned 5. 

I mostly do kids' birthday cakes and since I became "famous" for a very moist chocolate cake, that's what most people ask for, or "vanilla" for which I usually do a yellow cake.  But this is the first time someone specified a "white" cake. 

I understand the chocolate cake requests...it really is that good.  But I don't understand the people who routinely want vanilla cake and frosting every.time.

I've tried to get people to be just a *little* more adventurous...they're so boring!!!  I can't even talk people into being adventurous on 4 cupcakes.  It's maddening!  all the options in the whole wide world and they can't get off chocolate and vanilla.

4laynes Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 3:23am
post #5 of 7

Since I'm always doing white cake I'm picking out a chocolate recipe from a cookbook.  Since you've found a really good chocolate recipe - would you mind sharing - please?  I want it to be a good one for him. 

indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 7

My son-in-law says that if he goes to a wedding and there is no white cake with white icing, then he's taking his gift back and leaving!  LOL!  Seriously, I never understood why people refer to some foods as "boring".  People on diets refer to eating "boring" apples...... heck, I can't wait until October when I can head to the orchard and buy my favorite apples!  Why is white cake "boring"?  In my world, there is no such thing as too much vanilla and even at the Dairy Queen, I order vanilla milk shakes.  What I find "boring" is going to an event where someone has decided to "spruce it up" with Monkey-Butt-Earwax cake .... that no one eats, so we are all 'bored' because there is no decent dessert to eat.

Food is a great reminder of our happy times.  That's why the term "Comfort Food" was coined.  Our favorites "comfort" us and remind us of our youth, our special events, and the special people who made them.

And if white cake with white icing is part of those memories, then I apologize to no one.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 8:36pm
post #7 of 7

i like white cake sans icing or with chocolate icing -- a majority of my cake orders were for white/white cake 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%