Sugar Dress Lace Mix Issue

Sugar Work By Jeff_Arnett Updated 20 Apr 2015 , 2:02pm by TheresaCarol

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 6

I've been using Sugar Dress brand spreadable lace mix for some time and have been very pleased with its performance....except when I try to color it!

If I add color, the mixture is fine the first hour or so, but as the mixture sits it becomes very thing and gel like and becomes very rubbery and hard to spread.

I've tried gel coloring as well as powdered and the same thing happens.  No issues when I just use white uncolored mixture.

Any ideas/suggestions?

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 6

did you try airbrushing it after it sets up? 

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 6

No...I'd just rather just color the whole thing......

-K8memphis Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 6

how's about substituting airbrush color for the water?

-K8memphis Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 6

i was curious about this so i asked global sugar art and this is what they said,

"Gel colors contain emulsifiers and often ingredients like glycerin.  These will all make the mix more gelatinous as it sits.  The part two ( clear liquid) used in mixing Sugar Dress is actually glycerin so adding more of it with gel colors will thicken the mix even more.
I would suggest eliminating the part two clear liquid or reducing it to 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon when using gel colors.  Alternately, you can easily airbursh or dry brush the dried lace with and color you choose.

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 20 Apr 2015 , 2:02pm
post #6 of 6

Another alternative would be to use powdered color in the dry mix before adding the liquid.  This worked well for a lighter color.  If you are looking to do darker colors, I have used the gel colors but I had to mix it with the part two before adding to the powder.  I will say that I used the Cake Lace mix for coloring and not the Sugar Dress.  I have had no problems at all with the Cake Lace, even when I had to make navy blue lace (what a challenge!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%