Buttercream Issues

Decorating By theresagallegos Updated 6 Apr 2015 , 6:07pm by cakeemewithyou

theresagallegos Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 13

My husband has been having issues with getting the butter cream to be smooth. He does a crumb coat then adds the final layer and when he is trying to frost it smooth, it leaves streaks. This just started happening. He does make his own butter cream.

4-5 cups of powdered sugar

1 tea vanilla extract

4-5 tablespoons of milk

2 sticks of butter

Anyone have an idea what this could be?

12 replies
GimmiemoreCake Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 2:59am
post #2 of 13

I have a couple of questions that are sort of related to this thread. Can all butter buttercream be 'over whipped'? I had previously heard that SMBC can be whipped and whipped and whipped, but shortening only buttercream cannot be over whipped. Can anyone clarify this for me? 

Also, when I log into Cake Central, this thread is not visible. However, when I am not logged in, I can read all of it. Is anyone else experiencing similar issues?

indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 13

My icing (Indydebi's Buttercream Icing) can be beat until the dogs come home.  It's a crisco-based icing.  When I had the shop open, I'd get the mixer running then go to the store next door, or walk across the parking lot to Burger King for lunch, and the mixer is running away to it's little heart's content!  When I share the icing, I always tell folks "You can't over beat it ... you can't mess this one up."

-K8memphis Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 13

i like white cake sans icing or with chocolate icing -- a majority of my cake orders were for white cake 

-K8memphis Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 13

oh wait -- post 4 is on the wrong thread here -- oops

GimmiemoreCake Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 2:56am
post #6 of 13

indydebi: are you willing to share your recipe? It is precisely the shortening based buttercream I was told not to over whip! LOL 

This recipe is:

- 1 cup vegetable (crisco) shortening

- 1 tbsp merengue powder

- 1 tsp butter or vanilla flavour

- 3 tbsp water (or milk)

- 4 cups icing sugar

indydebi Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 11:32am
post #7 of 13

Comparing our two recipes, here are the differences I see.

- I don't use meringue powder .... it doesn't really do anything.

- Our fat/sugar ratio is WAY different.  The ratio I see in your recipe above is one I see frequently (and usually from folks who say they have a crusting problem).  More fat = less crusting.

- Mine has more liquid in it, but it also has the "secret" ingredient of Dream Whip.

GimmiemoreCake Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 13

Wow! You use almost double the sugar. I will try it. I am curious. Thank you.

indydebi Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 13

I view it as "I used half the fat!"  LOL!

cakeemewithyou Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 5:46pm
post #10 of 13

I would have never thought of using dream whip in frosting! Can you buy it in bulk? Lol

indydebi Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 13

Check Amazon.com.  A friend gave me this recipe over 30 years ago.  It's the only icing I use (exception:  When I need a chocolate icing, I use the one on the side of the Hershey Cocoa can).

-K8memphis Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 6:00pm
post #12 of 13

walmart would probably sell you a quantity of it -- 

cakeemewithyou Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 6:07pm
post #13 of 13

So excited! I can't wait to try it. My great grandma left us dozens of recipes using dream whip but none for icing! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%