Tylose Powder With Fondant

Baking By cake_starter Updated 2 Sep 2015 , 6:34pm by theresaf

cake_starter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_starter Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everybody,

I'm making a book cake with fondant. I don't want the cover to sag, so I want to make fondant little hard. Can I add tylose powder to make it hard. If I add tylose powder can the fondant still be edible or will it become solid hard?

Also, which is better? Gum-tex powder or tylose powder ?

To make flowers, I always add 50/50 of gum paste and fondant and it becomes pretty hard. I don't want my book cover to be so hard, but stiff enough t hold it up.

Thanks.

5 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 6

I use CMC, but it all pretty much the same and yes, it can be eaten. The mix I use is 1 tsp CMC for 1/2 kg fondant.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 6

I have used both at different times.   I never measured how much - I would just add a little and knead it until it started to tighten up but I would guess not more than 1/4 teaspoon per cup (large ball)  of fondant.

The longer it sits on a cake the harder it get but I have never had it become so hard as to even be a problem cutting it. 

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 6

I am the same as Kakeladi, I just pour a little and can tell by feel, but it's never become too hard. Maybe about  a 2:10 ratio..

Personally, I would take tylose powder over gum-tex any day! I have had to order my tylose online, as it's hard to find here. When I run out, I use gum-tex that I purchase at the local decorating stores. Gum-tex is way more gooey, has a weirder 'texture' when mixing with fondant,  discolors my fondant and has a noticeably unpleasant taste. It's not so bad if you are only using a little. But I tend to cover the taste with Princess cake and cookie emulsion (I use Rhonda's ultimate MMF).  But I would choose tylose over gum-tex any day!

tommon02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tommon02 Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 2:04am
post #5 of 6

I also have a closed book cake to make and I'm concerned that adding tylose will make my MMF taste bad but I don't want the overhang of the book cover to sag.  

In general, what I'm hearing is that tylose in fondant tastes better than gum-tex or gumpaste.  But is that just the lesser of the evils?  The MMF recipe that I use calls for added flavor so maybe that will take care of it.  I guess the only way to know is go ahead and add the tylose and taste it for myself.  

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 2 Sep 2015 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 6

Some time back I got a tip from the always-willing-to-share-her thoughts-K8Memphis

She said to use corn starch with fondant to stiffen.  I've only used that for flowers and decorations but it works for me!  Hope I quoted you correctly K8! kissing_heart.png

Theresa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%