Sponge Vs. Layer Cake

Baking By rooneygirl Updated 8 Apr 2015 , 7:53pm by rooneygirl

rooneygirl Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 8

So I'm wondering which is the preferred cake for most bakers when creating fondant covered custom cakes? I feel like the US opts for Layer cakes where as UK and parts of Europe always use Sponge.  I make scratch layer cakes and have thought of making the switch to sponge, probably just for the white/yellow cakes. I tend to add simple syrup to my vanilla layer cakes anyway so I thought maybe I should just switch to sponge.  What are your professional opinions and preferences?  Thanks! 

7 replies
smysha Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 8

What's the difference between the two? I thought layers just meant having different layers of sponge in one cake? 

rooneygirl Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 8

Sponge has no liquid. Usually equal parts flour sugar butter and eggs. Needs simple syrup where as layer cakes have different proportions and needs milk or buttermilk. I think sponge is lighter 

rooneygirl Posted 7 Apr 2015 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 8

Any guidance on this? 

Natka81 Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 4:05am
post #5 of 8

Layered cakes are cakes that are baked, torted and have filling between layers. Layers could be 2" thick to 1/2" thick. In my nation we have Cakes with as much as 7 laeyers that are 1/8th" thick.

For example I bake 3 ingredient sponge cake which is 2" thick and I torte it to make 3 layers. My other cake " zebra " has even thinner layers.

Any cake has layers. Americans like them thicker.

In my nation when we say "layer cake" that means that we specifically refer to cake called "Spartak" or Napoleon. They have very thin layers that are baked separately and stacked with filling between them.

rooneygirl Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 6:34am
post #6 of 8

Thanks for your reply. In the US, layer cake is the common term for typical cakes with lots of layers - usually make with a butter yellow or white cake. This is made with butter, sugar, flour, and milk, eggs, and leavener.  I know European "sponge" cakes Like Victoria sponge do not add any milk and usually have equal parts by weight of sugar/flour/butter and eggs but no added liquid until a sugar syrup is applied later. These are different from US layer cakes and I'm just trying to find out if anyone in the States ever uses these for their custom cakes decorated with fondant.  I'm guessing not because I haven't seen any other responses so its probably not popular here.     Probably answering my own question...?

Natka81 Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 10:29am
post #7 of 8

I have been ordering cakes from other decorators. All the cakes so far had thick layers. I guess layer cakes are not popular in US. 

rooneygirl Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 8

layer cakes in US are usually average 1" thick cake per layer with typically 3 or 4 layers of cake with filling in between. My party cakes are 3 layers of cake and my wedding cakes are 4 layers of cake. So the cakes are usually between 4.5" - 5.5" tall once covered with fondant.  There are thinner sliced cakes but those are usually sold at bakeries and not used for custom cakes.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%