Gumpaste Blackberries?

Decorating By 4laynes Updated 11 Jul 2016 , 9:56am by ShirleyW

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 20

Not sure if I should ask this here or in sugarwork.  Can anyone tell me or direct me to a good tutorial on how to make blackberries?  I know how to use dragees and stick to the gumpaste, but I'm looking for a more 'natural' look.  Do they roll out all those little balls by hand????

19 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 20

you can get a mold on etsy for example-- and these would be wonderful to eat and would be so tasty made out of fondant

-K8memphis Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 20

you can get a mold on etsy for example-- and these would be wonderful to eat and would be so tasty made out of fondant

rooneygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rooneygirl Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 20

yes, if you've seen maggie austin's craftsy class "berries, leaves, and blossoms" she shows you how to make blackberries. She basically rolls every tiny seen and applies it to a dried small gumpaste ball on a wire.  Its a great technique and I've used it with much success. very tedious though... 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 20

There are great links on cakegeek.com for bad relief technique.

4laynes Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 20

Thanks rooneygirl, I've seen that class but was a bit pricey since I just want to know the blackberry part.  I have purchased others on decorating and sugar flowers when they are on sale.  So, she rolls out all the seeds and sticks them on?  No wonder they look so realistic.  James Rosselle use some amazing strawberries in his Arranging Sugar Flowers class that I'm trying to figure out.  I asked him and he directed me to Maggie's class, but she doesn't do strawberries.  They looked too real to have been made in a mold too.

I will check out cakegeek too julia1812.

K8, I found the molds you are talking about and may do that if I have to. This one looks interesting too.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blackberry-Small-7-Cavity-Silicone-Mold-1984-/380334041717?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588dacea75

Thank you!

-K8memphis Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 20

4laynes  and rooneygirl and all -- i think maggie austin is a brilliant cake designer -- a real bright spot in the cake kingdom -- refreshing, different, singular, i love her work -- she's outstanding -- can't say enough great things about her --

however as a teacher she might lack a little bit -- the one craftsy class i took was hers -- a ruffle cake that was graduated in color -- oh my soul i could not even watch it all -- it took her forever and she was no where near done coloring the fondant/gum paste whatever it was -- 

i have no doubt that she would recommend making blackberries one little pod thing at time -- just say no no no no no no -- y'know if you were making a cake for your family and just had beaucoups of time but whoa -- idk in a class ply me with secrets and shortcuts then overwhelm me with efficiency -- clearly she's not my type of teacher but

i love her style and am fascinated with her every cake design including the ones she hasn't done yet -- i think her cakes dance (y'know of course she's a retired ballerina) 

-K8memphis Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 20

i don't have a lot of patience do i :)

rooneygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rooneygirl Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 8:46pm
post #9 of 20

In Maggie's defense I've seen ALOT of crafty classes and most of them have a lot of time wasting segments in them. Almost trying to stretch it out. Yes we all know how to color fondant, I would think...  I think it's a craftsy thing more than the instructor. She is magnificent!  

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 9:00pm
post #11 of 20

her results are so fantastic -- she is the most amazing designer -- i love her stuff -- it's the only craftsy i've ever tried -- i'm her biggest fan srsly --

i have a bunch of nick l.o.dge tapes how to make flowers and i have never stayed awake long enough to watch one full lesson -- he has the most silvery soothing sleep inducing voice/tone i have ever heard -- i'll never have insomnia hahahaha

i am really bad ;)

-K8memphis Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 9:01pm
post #12 of 20

Quote by @rooneygirl on 13 minutes ago

In Maggie's defense I've seen ALOT of crafty classes and most of them have a lot of time wasting segments in them. Almost trying to stretch it out. Yes we all know how to color fondant, I would think...  I think it's a craftsy thing more than the instructor. She is magnificent!  

my post 11 was in response to rooneygirl's post ^^^ regarding m austin

4laynes Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 11:24pm
post #13 of 20

I also saw a tutorial where you color white dragees black and press them onto a ball of gumpaste.  I may give that a try too.

cak3m0m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cak3m0m Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 11:54pm
post #14 of 20

I have seen a lot of handmade molds online cast from real blackberries and they are fairly inexpensive if you are looking to save time.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 9:51pm
post #15 of 20

One day when I went into CVS drug store, they had blackberry candies that look exactly like blackberries. I can not remember what they were made of. I am thinking something similar to jelly belly beans but if you saw them on a cake they would look exactly like the real thing. Just a thought in case you don't feel like making them! 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 10:11pm
post #16 of 20

@remnant3333  they are 'Jelly Belly' brand blackberry candies.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 9 Jul 2016 , 8:22pm
post #17 of 20

I have taken three Maggie Austin Craftsy classes and loved each one. The only thing I have had a problem with is in the berry class, getting the gumpaste seeds to adhere to the center cone. Using CK piping gel I have had a problem with them pulling away from the dried center and falling off or sliding down. I think I have solved it by using the gumpaste center while it is still soft, brushing it lightly with water and pressing the dried gumpaste berry seeds into the center while it is still soft. I have still lost a few seeds here and there but can press them back in place. When completely dry and secure I can dust and steam them. Using the center while soft you have to be gentle pressing in the berry seeds or the wire will pop through the top of the center. Hope this helps.

ShirleyW Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 1:59am
post #18 of 20

Here are mine from today.[postimage id="4582" thumb="900"]

-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 9:41am
post #19 of 20

lovely lovely work, Shirley, exquisite -- nice to see you, too

ShirleyW Posted 11 Jul 2016 , 9:56am
post #20 of 20

Hi Kate, my little Polar Bear friend. How have you been? Thank you for the kind words.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%