Help....classic Wonder Mold Cinderella

Decorating By cakesbygrandma Updated 26 Jan 2007 , 3:12pm by dogwood

cakesbygrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbygrandma Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:14am
post #1 of 11

I need to make a cinderella cake for my granddaughters birthday and I have tried baking the cake in the wondermold and it never rises enough and comes out totally uneven with hard edges. Any help and advice on getting the cake to bake properly. Thanks in Advance.

10 replies
stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:26am
post #2 of 11

When I do my dolls, I always have more than 2/3 batter in the pan.

Are you talking about the top being hard? If so, just level it with a serrated knife.

Another question, do you have the gold or aluminum pan? The aluminum is larger than the gold.

thumbs_up.gif

cakesbygrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbygrandma Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:33am
post #3 of 11

Stephanie214 I have the aluminum pan. The cake did not rise enough and when I level there is really not much of a cake left. I am going to try again this weekend and would appreciate any tips as this cake is very important to my granddaughter. She is going to be 4 and all she talks about is her cinderella cake. Thanks

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:33am
post #4 of 11

I do the same as Stephanie--fill it more than two-thirds. Then carve off the the excess. I also place the pan set up on a cookie sheet so that it catches any overflow.

Just to share, I did do a Cinderella for my daughter in 2004: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/missyekelley/album/576460762347125573/photo/294928803711582803/52

stephanie214 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsells

Stephanie214 I have the aluminum pan. The cake did not rise enough and when I level there is really not much of a cake left. I am going to try again this weekend and would appreciate any tips as this cake is very important to my granddaughter. She is going to be 4 and all she talks about is her cinderella cake. Thanks

I have them both and love the aluminum one the best...Thrift Store find for $1.00 icon_biggrin.gif

Just add more batter and as Missy said, use the cookie sheet to catch the over-flow. I think that I used almost two boxes of mix and made cupcakes with the left-over batter.

Yep, I know all about doing the special cakes for your granddaughter. I just did the Strawberry Shortcake for my Granddaughter. She couldn't make up her mind which SSC to use, so I used them both icon_biggrin.gif

Please keep us posted and remember, we are here to help thumbs_up.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 11

Missy, your cake are FABULOUS !! What do you do to get them so SMOOTH ?

missyek Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:27pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

Missy, your cake are FABULOUS !! What do you do to get them so SMOOTH ?

Why thank you! Nothing special really--I just use the icer tip to ice, then spread a bit with a spatula, then go over it with a bowl scraper and then Viva away. Of course when I use fondant, then it is even smoother! thumbs_up.gif

turtlemom_9500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtlemom_9500 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 11

I have a question concerning the wondermold..Do you use a pound cake batter so that its more firm? Or is any cake mix good?

missyek Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:57pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemom_9500

I have a question concerning the wondermold..Do you use a pound cake batter so that its more firm? Or is any cake mix good?

I actually take a regular cake mix, doctor it up like I normally do and add a pound cake mix and the ingredients it calls for. Usually it is enough batter to let it over flow so that it can easily be trimmed of the excess.

stephanie214 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:47pm
post #10 of 11

I use the Cake Doctor recipe with reg. box mix.

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:12pm
post #11 of 11

When I made the Cinderella and Snow White cakes for my twin granddaughters I used the aluminum wondermold pan and, since my daughter bought the actual dolls to go in the cake, I also made an 8" cake to go under each cake made in the wondermold pan. I had to do this because the dolls were too tall for just the wondermold pan. Also, I just used regular DH mix. Cinderella was made from DH White cake mix and Snow White of DH Devils Food cake mix. They are in my pictures if you would like to see them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%