Calla Lilies Questions

Decorating By MomofThree Updated 2 Mar 2005 , 7:37pm by GHOST_USER_NAME

MomofThree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomofThree Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 4

Hi - I feel kind of silly but I have been experimenting with the instructions for making Calla Lilies posted on this site and I have a couple of questions.

First, the wire that is referred to, what kind of wire is this? I don't see it in the Wilton on-line store, is there a special kind I should use?

Second, the instructions are for using gum paste, but I was just experimenting using some left over marshmallow fondant. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice as far as not using fondant for these types of flowers. I know the fondant doesn't harden like the gum paste does, but I didn't know if they could be done with fondant anyway and hold up through an event?

Any advice would be appreciated! I see alot of talented and supportive people participating in this site! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 4

Don't feel silly. You have a very valid question! When I make a calla lily I use stiff florist wire (I think it's anywhere from 26 to 30 gauge). Just make sure it is a good stiff wire because the finished lily can be a bit heavy and might tend to bend a thinner wire. I don't know if Wilton sells it or not but you can get it at any craft store. Hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

MomofThree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomofThree Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 4

icon_smile.gif Thank you MrsMissy, I'll look for those. I also notice a forum topic on inserting wires into cakes that I didn't catch before I posted my message. I didn't have any kind of wire when I was playing around last night so I used a toothpick (I was just making a small flower, about 1 1/2 inches tall) and it worked OK and was convenient to set the flow up to dry.

I noticed on the other post someone said to try toothpicks or wooden skewers - I'm glad to see my toothpick idea wasn't too far off! I was just making do with what I have.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 4

I have only made callas with fondant. It did fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%