Question: Ball Tool For Thinning Fondant And Gum Paste.

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 31 Mar 2015 , 10:35pm by mrsmac888

mrsmac888 Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 5


I need to purchase a ball tool for thinning fondant and / or gum paste when making roses.  In your opinion, is metal or plastic better?  Is the a specific brand that you prefer?  I'm going to have to order one, I've been everywhere and cannot find one locally.  I even checked craft stores in the modeling clay area.  Nothing.  

Thank you!


4 replies
Gerle Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 5

I have both.  When I first started decorating cakes, the plastic one was what was readily available.  It seemed to work ok, but somewhere along the line I picked up a metal one.  To me, the metal one seems to flow more smoothly over the fondant and gumpaste, so that is my preference.  Others may disagree with me, but I do find that it seems to be smoother rolling.

winniemog Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 5

Gerle is right on the money there, I feel exactly the same. I think it's the extra weight to the metal one plus the lack of seam, along with the smoother surface - all combine to make it roll more smoothly.

maybenot Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 5

A high quality metal ball tool will have no seam, good weight, and last forever.  It's a solid investment tool--a tool that does the work without much effort.

mrsmac888 Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you, all.  Metal it is!


Quote by @%username% on %date%