German Chocolate Icing

Baking By rothells Updated 7 Apr 2015 , 7:27pm by rothells

rothells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rothells Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 17

Does anyone have a good recipe for the icing for German Chocolate cake? It's not really an icing you can decorate with, so I've never made it before.  I tried to just search it, but for some reason I can't get the search to work. I just keep getting an error message.

16 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 17

here's an original recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/bakers-original-german-sweet-chocolate-cake-170846

the original recipe on the kraft site (who owns german chocolate) gives an error also --

you know this is an american cake yes? not one from germany --

rothells Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 17

Thank you! I don't guess I ever really thought about where it originated from. But it's nice to know! 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 4:43am
post #4 of 17

Quote by @-K8memphis on 10 hours ago

you know this is an american cake yes? not one from germany --

What is a "German chocolate cake"? Is that like a terminology referring to one specific recipe? Box mix? What is it?

julia1812 Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 4:47am
post #5 of 17

Same for German chocolate icing... I feel like an idiot asking these questions considering I'm German and should know!

Always struggling with "German buttercream" ...and now this!

Hahaha! Help. Confused!!!

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 9:49am
post #6 of 17

The "German" in German Chocolate Cake has very little to do with Germany and more to do with the last name of a guy...

It used to be "German's Chocolate Cake"... 

You know us Americans.... always changing the names of things... lol

julia1812 Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 9:56am
post #7 of 17

Lol, thanks! Started feeling like an idiot not knowing that cake or icing already

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 1:05pm
post #8 of 17

well no it's only reasonable to figure that german chocolate cake would be german unless you know the background --

but yes mr. german, developed the sweet chocolate that was eventually named after him so it became  "german's chocolate" back in the day and then that cake recipe was developed although most of us figure it's a recipe from germany for obvious reasons --

that's why when someone wants to make a better german chocolate cake and use other chocolate it's probably a great choco cake but it's no longer a "german chocolate cake" 

drea88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drea88 Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 2:05pm
post #9 of 17

I love the frosting/filling from Bobby Flay's German chocolate cake with coconut-pecan cajeta frosting (if you Google it, it will come up). If I want to be able to decorate the cake, I just use the coconut-pecan frosting as the filling and cover the outside with chocolate ganache. 

rothells Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 17

Thanks drea88 I will look that one up too! 

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 17

I pair germans chocolate cake with a chocolate SMBC (semi-sweet chocolate) and a dark chocolate drizzle (herseys special dark). it's a delicious combo...people said the frosting tasted like ice cream!

see link to my gallery for cake, including sliced view... 

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3304788/germans-choc-bday 

SMBC recipe... 

https://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/tutorial-swiss-meringue-buttercream/

...after butter is fully incorporated add SMBC is fluffy, add 2-4 oz melted and cooled semi-sweet chocolate  

virago Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 7:00pm
post #12 of 17

maybe i misunderstood the OP's question?

@rothells  do you want just the coconut-pecan filling recipe?

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/coconut-pecan-filling-frosting-51053.aspx 

rothells Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 9:40pm
post #13 of 17

Virago, that cake looks amazing! Absolutely stunning and here I thought it was not possible to do a decorated cake with German Chocolate frosting. You blew that theory out of the water! I was originally just asking for a recipe for the icing itself (like you would buy in a can at the store) to go between the layers and on the outside of the cake. But I love that you posted and gave your recipe with pictures I am excited to give it a try  thank you! 

virago Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 10:51pm
post #14 of 17

Quote by @rothells on 49 minutes ago

Virago, that cake looks amazing! Absolutely stunning and here I thought it was not possible to do a decorated cake with German Chocolate frosting. You blew that theory out of the water! I was originally just asking for a recipe for the icing itself (like you would buy in a can at the store) to go between the layers and on the outside of the cake. But I love that you posted and gave your recipe with pictures I am excited to give it a try  thank you! 

thanks for the cake compliment!

just to clarify (may be hard to see in the pics)...the cake is made up of 2 layers germans chocolate cake, with coconut-pecan filling in between and on top (half of the kraft recipe, i froze the other half), chocolate SMBC on sides (used a scraper to smooth), dark chocolate drizzle, same chocolate SMBC to do the (very simple) piped borders (the top border hides the transition from SMBC to filling). 

it may not be entirely traditional, but (yum, num, num) it sure is good!!! 

rothells Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 11:15pm
post #15 of 17

Thanks for the break down, and it sure does look good! 

virago Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 11:16pm
post #16 of 17

Quote by @rothells on 21 seconds ago

Thanks for the break down, and it sure does look good! 

welcome! cheers!

rothells Posted 7 Apr 2015 , 7:27pm
post #17 of 17

The cake got amazing reviews, and the coconut pecan frosting was so good. I toasted the coconuts and pecans before I added it to the icing and the whole cake was a hit, definitely a keeper. Thanks again for the recipes and help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%