Cake Pan Sizes

Baking By Goodkarmabaker Updated 1 Apr 2015 , 5:01pm by Apti

Goodkarmabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goodkarmabaker Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 9

HI Everyone,

I'm new to the community and to cake decorating,  I'm in the process of buying new pans.  Do I need to buy two of each size?

TIA!

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 9

i think it is easier to prepare two pans rather than bake off a cake remove it from the pan then bake the next one -- it certainly can be done with only one pan of each size but it's a measure of ease to have at least two of each --

welcome to cc

Goodkarmabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goodkarmabaker Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the welcome, K8memphis, I agree.  I just wasn't sure if there were any instances where you would need just one.  Like with the larger sizes, for instance...

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 9

@Goodkarmabaker  the biggest pans that I can get into my home oven is:

one 12" round  or one  12" x 18" sheet cake.

so there's no good reason to buy two of them, when the batter can sit in the mixing bowl in the fridge waiting for those pans, If I need a 2 layer cake.

everything smaller than those pans will allow me to get two in at a time, so I don't mind having sets of those smaller pans. 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 12:23am
post #5 of 9

I LOVE having 2 identical pans; saves a ton of time and effort.    Over the past 5 years of hobby baking, I've discovered that out of all my pan duplicates (I went nuts and bought every shape in sight......sigh.......), I use my 8x2 round and 10x2 round about 95% of the time.  I have 4 each of the 8x2 and 10x2 round sizes.

Knowing NOW what I did not know then, I strongly recommend that you purchase 2 each of the Magic Line 8x2" pans, and 2 each of the Magic Line 10x2" pans.  When you reach the point that you wish to purchase more pans, stick with the Magic Line brand.

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 1:32am
post #6 of 9

I just bought each size as an order came in - some sizes took 3 years before I got an order for that particular tier size so I was glad I didnt spend all that money up front.  

anney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anney Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 9

I can only bake successfully on one shelf of my oven, putting a tin on a lower shelf under another doesn't work so....if I can get 2 pans on one shelf I have 2, if I can only get one on, then I have one!  For square cakes I have a Silverwood Multisize cake tin with an extra set of dividers, it allows me to bake square or oblong cakes in one inch increments up to a 12x12, very handy.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 9

But if you have 2, you have one ready to go in as soon as the first comes out, without even waiting 15 minutes for the first cake to cool to turn it out.

That said, I have 8 of some sizes . . . but pretty much 4 of everything.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 5:01pm
post #9 of 9

leah_s~~When baking was 'your life' and you didn't have weekends, what were your most used sizes?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%