steph11sb Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:33am
post #1 of

Hi, I'm new to fondant icing and I'm using it on a heart shaped cake this weekend. I think I have a good understanding of how to ice a cake in fondant, but are there any tips I should know about icing the odd shaped heart cake? Any kind of help is greatly appreciated! Thanks..

5 replies
CakesUnleashed Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:39am
post #2 of

When covering a heart shaped cake:

Create a round fondant shape, put on just like you do a round shaped cake except - tuck in the indented area FIRST. Then, proceed to smooth the rest of the cake after the indent is covered.

mrsjah Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:45am
post #3 of

Steph11sb, First I would like to welcome you to cc. One you start posting and going online to check out the least you will be hooked forever. icon_biggrin.gif .
Now I have covered a heart shape cake and I found out that it is not that hard, just make good and sure that you have enough to cover the cake and then some, I found out the hard way. You can see from my pictures that the bottom cake, I had a lot of trouble with, because I almost ran out of fondant. Make sure a post your picture so we can all see you cake. Good luck and have fun doing it!!! icon_smile.gif

steph11sb Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:55am
post #4 of

Thank you so much for the advice... I love this website...lol...I've just recently signed up and I'm completely hooked! I'll be sure to post the picture when I'm done. Thanks again.

superstar Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:27am
post #5 of

Welcome to CC. Heart shape cakes are not difficult. Make sure you have plenty of overlap & smooth downwards. Look forward to seeing your cake.
June

ShirleyW Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 7:36am
post #6 of

You know I was intimidated by trying to enrobe a shaped cake with fondant, but once I tried it I really think it was easier than a round. I covered a comma shape and a heart shape with no problem. On the heart cake I smoothed the point end first just in case I got any wrinkles, I wanted that part to be perfect because it is dead center front. But once I got the fondant on it just seemed to fall into place and I didn't get wrinkles anywhere. Easy breezy.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=ShirleyW&cat=0&pos=173

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%