How Can Duff Sell A Netflix Cake?

Decorating By vww104 Updated 27 Jan 2007 , 5:05am by cakenutz

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:23am
post #1 of 53

Did anyone see the first episode of A of C last night? Duff made this fantastic cake in the shape of a Chinese takeout container with a replica of a netflix envelope. Isn't that copyrighted? I'm sure he got a ton of $$ for that cake. What's the difference between doing that and selling a character cake? Just curious.

52 replies
justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:03am
post #2 of 53

Maybe they asked permission. Do you think netflix would give up that kind of free publicity??

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:08am
post #3 of 53

Also he may have done it for a NetFlix faculty party. I know he's been the Caker for a few big wig parties around the area so it wouldn't surprise me if he was doing it for a NetFlix owner or president or something ya know icon_wink.gif

jtkempton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtkempton Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:08am
post #4 of 53

I have seen on different website people making a Starbucks coffee. Wouldn't that be the same?

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:08am
post #5 of 53

Good point.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:14am
post #6 of 53

I was wondering the same exact thing. It was for a guy's birthday and they made no mention of him being affiliated with Netflix. The cake was definitely a great representation of what it was supposed to be, but how good could that possibly taste with all that fondant and stuff on it. I can't imagine trying to cut it and serve it. Unfortunately it seems like all of his cakes are like that, he must be doing something right though with how busy his shop is. I'm just so curious to see how they're consumed.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:18am
post #7 of 53

Saw the program and wondered the same thing. He is well know and has done cakes for many different businesses, so he either had permission or did it for the business itself (I hope). It was very well presented.

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:24am
post #8 of 53

I'm sure that he was probably doing it for someone with permission or for that company itself...Netflix would probably be thrilled with the publicity they would get by being featured on A of C anyway.

cakes80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes80 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:26am
post #9 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

I was wondering the same exact thing. It was for a guy's birthday and they made no mention of him being affiliated with Netflix. The cake was definitely a great representation of what it was supposed to be, but how good could that possibly taste with all that fondant and stuff on it. I can't imagine trying to cut it and serve it. Unfortunately it seems like all of his cakes are like that, he must be doing something right though with how busy his shop is. I'm just so curious to see how they're consumed.

Me too? I've always wondered that as well. How on earth do people cut the and eat them? I wonder how much gets thrown away? Even some of the cakes I've made I've had to devise a cutting strategy! Than try to explain to the person who has to cut it.

I'll bet the show contacted NetFlix and gave them permission.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:33am
post #10 of 53

Did you guys see all the handling they did? Never saw anyone wear gloves or refrence washing hands...and when they made the highland cow..the girl that was helping started out with perfectly manicured fingernails and by the end of it...the nailpolish was all chipped! ..ugh!

after having seen that show..I would NEVER eat one of their cakes! I'd do what he suggested..shellac it and keep it..lol.

To many people talking ( spitting ) over them...to many hands ( are they washed??) hair flying around and nail polish chips!?? YUM!!!

lol

But, people are beating a path to his door...guess it's time to get my nails done...lol

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:39am
post #11 of 53

I'm guessing they didn't ask permission. The cake was for a couple, not anyone having anything to do with Netflix.

And you have to keep in mind that the show is shot over days and days at a time (notice they start out at the beginning of the week with the board full of orders and end up with the board empty. that cow was made over at least 3 days by my count. and while it isn't a health oriented show, they likely are as good about cleanliness as any other bakery - but 30 seconds watching someone at the sink isn't exactly rivoting TV.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:49am
post #12 of 53

lol, but it's not even mentioned in passing! and I didn't imagine the chiped nail polish!! and the hair all over the face!

but, you know what? that's their style, they are geting rich and famous...and I'm just some little baker killing myself for my money.

so, actually...I shouldn't even be saying ANYTHING about them.!!

I should be wise and keep my opinion about this show ( I really shouldn't comment, I've never been to his shop, I've never worked with him nor seen him work..) to myself, because I have no personal experience with this Chef, it's all speculation!!

And what they show on TV..lol

cakes80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes80 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:58am
post #13 of 53

I agree that they probably just don't show the cleaning part. I know that's the part of cakes that I find the VERY least interesting. LOL. I did notice alot of fingers and hands all over the cakes and nothing on thier hair. But the shop always looks acceptable. I know when I'm baking I have stuff all over, even though I clean as I go.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:14am
post #14 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

Did you guys see all the handling they did? Never saw anyone wear gloves or refrence washing hands...and when they made the highland cow..the girl that was helping started out with perfectly manicured fingernails and by the end of it...the nailpolish was all chipped! ..ugh!

after having seen that show..I would NEVER eat one of their cakes! I'd do what he suggested..shellac it and keep it..lol.

To many people talking ( spitting ) over them...to many hands ( are they washed??) hair flying around and nail polish chips!?? YUM!!!

lol

But, people are beating a path to his door...guess it's time to get my nails done...lol

Oh yeah...that is disgusting!!! I learned early on not to worry about my nails! I keep 'em short & clean (unpolished)!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:24am
post #15 of 53

I'm sure before the show aired they had to get some sort of release to show that particular cake (Netflix). They have to get releases also from all the clients and employees that appear on the show too.

As for the handwashing, my m-i-l was watching an episode of 30 Minute Meals with me once, and afterwards an episode of Semi Homemade and commented on the same. They never seem to show any of these professionals washing their hands before they begin cooking/baking. I don't recall seeing Alton, Emiril, Rachel, Sandra Lee, Paula, or anyone else every washing their hands - just rinsing them occasionally. I'd like to think that they do it though and just edit it out to save air time for more interesting things.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:34am
post #16 of 53

I think the shop always looks very clean. But I did notice Duff lifted the horns up and put them on his head. I thought about how gross that seemed but then it dawned on me it's not a part that would be eaten as it was made out of wood and fondant.

I bet they get the ok from any name brand company before they do the cake. It is like a free commercial for the company.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 7:25am
post #17 of 53

With the cost of air time I doubt they are going to spend it filming Duff and the crew washing their hands. Mary Alice says Duff is obsessive compulsive about cleanliness, I'll take her word for it.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:36pm
post #18 of 53

The mention of the hand washing on the food network shows listed I watch food network daily, all day long practically. Paula always washes her hands and makes it a point to state "I'm goin over here and washin my hands for a quick second yall don't wanna get any of that (insert meat of the day) juices on the (next dish)". I've also seen Rachel take a moment to wash her hands as well as many others that were mentioned. Maybe it's just something we don't actually take into account for because it's a basic everyday function and it's not something that's jumping out at us that makes us sometimes miss people washing up. And on Paula even if she stops to pet the dog she'll announce that she had to pet the dog and is now washing her hands. I think if we all pay attention we will see they do wash their hands... Some shows they don't show it but ya gotta use common sense with it you know they are washing their hands because other people are going to be eating it icon_smile.gif

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:52pm
post #19 of 53

I believe that it was Mary Alice that posted on here a few months back about how clean they are in the shop! Come on guys, you really think they are gonna keep showing them wash their hands constantly, how boring would that be! As someone stated earlier, the show is taped over several days, maybe a week. I am sure all that polish did not come off from decorating a cake in one day. Polish just does not chip off on its own, what makes it come off many of times is washing your hands. We have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. A taping of 4 hours could be cut down to 4 minutes for all we know.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:55pm
post #20 of 53

I saw an A of C episode last season where Duff and his 4 year old half brother were making a cake for his dad and he told his little bro to wash his hands because he was going to be touching food. If you guys would like, when I go there for the Internship that I win (positive thinking!) I'll check it out! LOL

RE: The cakes. I have seen episodes where the cakes aren't eaten they are put on display and Duff serves "kitchen cakes". BUT, I have also seen him serve the "simple" designs like the race track cake.
He did a dinosauer cake and used metal pipes and a blow torch! I also saw a Food TV Challenge (he lost) that he used a blow torch to bring his BC up to temp. the judges were NOT happy! LOLL

His cakes are great though and like you can see....he's doin' SOMETHING right!

Beth in KY

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:05pm
post #21 of 53

As far as all that thick fondant goes, remember the episode with the jeep. They just tore that fondant off and ate the cake. I quess the fondant is just for show. Those guy tore that jeep up, they had no problem getting to the good part. We also know that some people want a cake from his shop just to say that they had one.

I'm really curious as to what the cake actually tastes like.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:09pm
post #22 of 53

Ugh I wish people would get off the hand washing thing! Again, if you're taping the show over a week - and you only have X amount of time to fit everything in and make the show interesting - are you going to spend precious minutes watching someone wash their hands? Paula & Rachel's shows I don't believe are taped over a week. I think they're taped one day at a time and they are in ONE location with ONE person working and cooking..... not 10 different people all working on cakes... I mean how awful would the show be if we had to watch each one of those people wash their hands before they touch anything? It's done. It's just not an exciting element and not really appropriate on the show.

Also - the ONLY time I have seen people wash their hands on the Food Network was after they touched raw meat. That's about it. Considering I haven't seen any raw meat on Ace of Cakes..... I don't think it's necessary to show them washing their hands. I think that's one of those cross-contamination things that everyone SHOULD know about but some people don't so it's important to show washing hands after handling raw meat.... not after picking up a piece of fondant and then picking up a pastry bag of icing......

Love the show and I will also promise if I win the Internship I'll let you all know about the cleanliness! Maybe I'll even keep count of how often they wash their hands since it seems to be such an intereting topic of discussion here on CC icon_smile.gif Keeping my fingers crossed that I or at least someone from CC wins that Internship! So cool!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:09pm
post #23 of 53

If you go to his website ,charmcitycakes.com, the claim is made that all the cakes are baked fresh (no frozen cakes) and the flavors sound really great! I wonder about how dry they get in the time it takes them to make these works of art!

Beth in KY

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:24pm
post #24 of 53

I watched two shows last night and just so you know the pumpkin cake they had at the Art show was touted as EXCELLENT by two people standing there eating them.

I thinkt the show is very interesting and I am sure they wash their hands appropriately...Duff went to pastry school and all. They are funky and fun and I think it would be a hoot to work there. Work does not have to be boring....and TV does not always give the tru picture of a situation. THAT would be boring.

Chicklets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chicklets Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:28pm
post #25 of 53

Just a reminder, the other shows are scripted. A of C is more of a reality show. If you watch Survivor they don't typically show them going the the bathroom but you know it happens. The show is for entertainment so a show dedicated to kitchen cleanliness would not get the ratings!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:30pm
post #26 of 53

another thing they don't show is the actual baking of the cakes. I wouldn't mind seeing them bake a few...but I guess that is not as exciting as decorating.

melody

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:33pm
post #27 of 53

It isn't that difficult to get a copyright release from the company especially those that have nothing available for cake creations like do Disney/Pixar, Sesame Street Barbie. et al. Some would like to see your proposed design before releasing permission but will usually comply.

I've seen Rachel using what looked like soap as well and Sandra Lee. I've seen Paula rinse...she may have used soap...I'm usually too busy admiring her kitchen.

I don't recall a sink in the area where work is done on Ace of Cakes.

I flipped last week when one of the cakerators was delivering a cake...up some stairs, in what looked like heeled sandals(heels...I'd be terrified), holding the cake in one hand(slightly resting against her shirt), opening the door with the other while on one foot, using the other leg to help get the door open.

I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A WORK AREA LIKE CHARM CITY CAKES!!!

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:33pm
post #28 of 53

Ha, they showed the intern scrubbing the pans....that did not look like fun though! icon_lol.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:40pm
post #29 of 53

How about that for a contest? Win a bakery setup! In an area of your choosing. God bless! Even if it were a 3 year leasing would be awesome!

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:45pm
post #30 of 53

Ooh excellent idea all4cake! Just long enough to get yout business going and build up enough capital to hold your own. That's something I would dream of. I think that's all most of us need, someone willing to take a chance!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%