White Cake Recipe

Baking By tader0308 Updated 31 Mar 2015 , 1:50pm by Gerle

tader0308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tader0308 Posted 30 Mar 2015 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 8

Ok I know this is a long shot, and I don't have many details. But what is the perfect white cake recipe? I have recently been to a few baby showers and parties where the hostesses have ordered the cake from someone they knew, and the white cake was amazing! It is perfectly white, very moist, and not too too sweet. Any idea on what people are using these days? I am making my daughters birthday cake this weekend and really looking forward to making one similar!

Any help is appreciated! 

7 replies
Cakecrazy25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakecrazy25 Posted 30 Mar 2015 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 8

Many people use doctored cake mixes(I think they call it WASC cake) or commercial grade mixes that some bakeries us like Dawn with great success. 

I bake everything from scratch without the use of cakes mixes. White and vanilla cake are the most challenging cakes to make.  Jennifer Bratko has a great recipe online for sale. Also, MyCakeSchool.com has some great recipes both from mixes and scratch, 

Hope this helps. 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 30 Mar 2015 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 8

"Perfect" is in the eye of the beholder.  Every baker is chasing the perfect cake of any flavor but we don't agree on what perfect looks and tastes like.  I don't think there is a substitute for trial and error.  You listed the qualities you like: white, moist, not too sweet.  There is not one but dozens of recipes and methods out there to choose from. Since you want one for this weekend you don't have a lot of time to experiment.  If you are not an experienced baker you will get the most consistent results from a mix or something like the original white almond sourcream cake (I hear the screams and groans of thousands of scratch bakers of which I am one, but she only has a week!).  If you want "perfect" there will be much experimentation and bad cake in your future!

rassi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rassi Posted 30 Mar 2015 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 8

I have used doctored mixes some times, but there is not equal to the flavor and texture of the white velvet cake, from The Cake Bible (Rose Levy B). It uses a different mixing method (mixing egg whites, milk and vanilla , the adding to cake flour, leavening, sugar and butter.  It has become my favorite, and it goes very well with lemon curd and milk chocolate ganache.

I hope you find this recommendation helpful.

Happy baking. 

tader0308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tader0308 Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 12:13am
post #5 of 8

Thank you all. I have used mixes in the past just to save on time, but I am going to experiment some this week with recipes I have found. Knew it'd be a long shot since it's something I have tasted and it's super hard to describe that :-) appreciate yall 

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 12:19am
post #6 of 8

I searched for years and tried dozens of white cake recipes until I found Jennifer Bratko's " a better White cake"  here on CC.  It is lovely - light, delicious, foolproof.  It is now for sale on Etsy - look under Beyond Buttercream white cake - and you will look no further.  It is 30.00, but has step by step tutorials and a number of variations that make it worth the price.  You will save that much on practice cakes!  

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 8

I love Rose Levy's White Velvet Butter Cake.  I get so many compliments every time I make it.  Google it and you will find the recipe or go to Rose Levy's site and you will find it there.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 1:50pm
post #8 of 8

I have to go along with yortma on Jennifer Bratko's white cake recipe.  I have found none better and get so many compliments on this recipe.  It is the only one I use now when making white cakes.  It may appear costly to some, but it is so worth it.  And with all the variations she provides, it is actually more than one recipe, and the others I have tried from it have also turned out excellent.  You can't go wrong with this recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%