Chocolate Cake Recipe

Baking By oblankson Updated 31 Mar 2015 , 7:45am by oblankson

oblankson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oblankson Posted 30 Mar 2015 , 5:09am
post #1 of 7

Hello all,

I am a home baker and recently got a job to make a chocolate wedding cake, what is the best recipe one can use for a dense chocolate cake that is also moist but heavy enough to be used as a layered cake.

Thanks

6 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 30 Mar 2015 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 7

Hi oblankson,

am sure you'll find plenty of chocolate cake recipes if you use the search tool on here or google it.

It doesn't need to be dense or heavy to support other tiers on top, that's what you have the support system for. Hope you are familiar with that???

How many tiers will the wedding cake be? And why are you worried about your own chocolate cake recipe? - Just asking out of curiosity...

oblankson Posted 30 Mar 2015 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks @ julia1812 for the reply, it will be a two tier cake and I'm worried because some recipes usually say do not use as a layered cake and some say nothing about if it can be layered or not. I have tried using the search tool here but always get an error message, I'm still not sure why that happens.

Another reason why I am worried is because most of the chocolate recipe are usually for moist cakes hence I'm worried they could collapse.

Thanks

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 30 Mar 2015 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 7

Oblanskson, I use the Hershey's chocolate cake recipe almost exclusively for chocolate cakes and as long as your structure is sound (sps for example) then you shouldn't have a problem.

julia1812 Posted 30 Mar 2015 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 7

Ah, okay. Well, the website provider has just been changed and there at unfortunately still many error messages. You could try a google search on "chocolate cake recipe cake central".

Generally every cake that can stand as a single tier can be used as a tiered cake as you have them each on a separator plate. One is resting on the cake board, the top tier resting on a sps system or any type of dowels rather than on the cake below.

I have done 2 tier cakes (4"each) without support system, but I wouldn't recommend that for a wedding cake...imagine the potential disaster!!!

julia1812 Posted 30 Mar 2015 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 7

I'll PM you a recipe.

oblankson Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 7:45am
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%