I'm A Few Years Behind...

Decorating By HelloSweety Updated 27 Mar 2015 , 11:29pm by HelloSweety

HelloSweety Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 7

So.  I stopped doing cakes a few years ago when I went through a terrible divorce.  This is when shortening changed.  Now, what has changed with frosting?

Rachel (Formerly MrsRight41401)

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 7

hi rachel -- really sorry about the terrible divorce -- hope that's all behind you now --

aside from the trans fats being removed from shortening i don't know what's changed with the frosting -- could you be more specific? if you add some cornstarch it helps hold it up better -- lessen the liquids

more peeps use ganache under fondant --

you gotta sift the powdered sugar for buttercream and i usually buy the more expensive stuff always the u.s. brand --

the old fashioned cooked flour icing is back in style aka wilton's french buttercream

stuff like that?

HelloSweety Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 7

Yes, thank goodness - in fact I'm getting married in May!

I just remember that about the time I quit everyone was talking about their frosting weeping with the new shortening.  And now I've lost all my recipes (he actually stole all my cookbooks!) so I'm having to start from scratch.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 7

i usually use butter in there anyway -- and i think you might find there's more water in the buitter now but otherwise less liquid and a coupla tablespoons of cornstarch if needed should shore things up :)

you know the board is in the process of being revamped so all the information is still there on hold but it's not accessible -- like recipes and pictures etc.

and happy congratulations! you doing your own cake?

HelloSweety Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 7

I'm doing a 4 tier dummy cake and then a simple sheetcake in the kitchen to cut.  I'm pretty sure I'll just be doing a lemon cake with a blueberry filling and then I found a recipe for a cream cheese swiss meringue buttercream.  

-K8memphis Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 7

cool -- sounds like you're all set -- best to you

HelloSweety Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 11:29pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks!  Now that I know that it wasn't as big an issue as before, I just have to find a good buttercream recipe.  I can't wait to start playing again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%