Recipe Hunt - Peppermint Chocolate Cake

Baking By LibbieWaddleton Updated 28 Mar 2015 , 9:53pm by LibbieWaddleton

LibbieWaddleton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LibbieWaddleton Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 9:10am
post #1 of 6

Hi

I found a chocolate cake recipe which used peppermint leaves to make it minty and I now can't find it to make a chocolate mint cake. Can anyone help?

Libb Libbie 

5 replies
Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 9:40am
post #2 of 6

There was one on the BBC good food website a long time ago but I can't find that now either.  Personally, I didn't like it - it tasted more 'herby' rather than 'mintly'.  You could try adding peperming extract to your batter or chunks of After Eights (dinner mints).  I usually do a chocolate cake but with peppermint buttercream now when people ask for mint chocolate...i think it tastes much nicer :-) x

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 10:51am
post #3 of 6

I agree with Snowflake bunny - it is easy to overdo the peppermint.  chocolate cake with peppermint butttercream is a nice way to get peppermint flavor without overwhelming the chocolate.    Add peppermint oil and peppermint schnapps to IMBC or SMBC - yum!  It also goes really well with cream cheese BC.  If you want the cake to be peppermint  just add a little peppermint oil to your favorite chocolate cake recipe.  Peppermint oil is the purest cleanest tasting peppermint IMO, but just add a little - it is strong.  HTH

LibbieWaddleton Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 8:23am
post #4 of 6

Thanks guys

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 10:39am
post #5 of 6

I have seen the crushed peppermint near where the chocolate chips are. I am not sure if that could be put into a cake but I imagine it could be. My sister in law told me that someone where she works would always make a chocolate cake and put peppermint in it. She said she thought she wouldn't like it but said it was actually very good. If anyone has a recipe, please post it because I am curious about it now.

LibbieWaddleton Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 6

Hi there

Well this si the recip I'm going to try.

Libbie

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/534644/mint-chocolate-cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%