imnamor95 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 11:30pm
post #1 of

icon_confused.gif I don't know y but, I am so nervous now! I have never touched fondant b4 and from so many reviews, people, generally, do not even like the stuff, lol. However, I am anxious to learn how to do it, I am just so nervous about the first day! The list says that I have to bring a box of 24 oz rolled fondant. Do u know if I have to use the Wilton one, the one everybody HATES, or can I use one of the recipes on this site? I'm really nervous about my first class...somebody slap me! icon_lol.gif

12 replies
mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 11:38pm
post #2 of

Ok...<<<slap!>>> LOL icon_lol.gif

There's nothing to be nervous about! There's plenty to be excited about! Hopefully you will have a great teacher! (Mine wasn't so hot icon_rolleyes.gif )

You can use the Wilton fondant, the one that everyone hates, if you don't feel like making any & if you're not going to eat it anyway! I bought the small package of Wilton for my first two lessons. For the last lesson I made fondant, and wish I had stayed with the Wilton because mine was too "soft" to do any type of molding or anything - but it was great for covering the cake & tasted great!

Good luck - it'll be fun!

crisseyann Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 11:41pm
post #3 of

I made the marshmallow fondant to use for my final cake, after hearing how horrid the Wilton stuff tastes. I find it super easy to work with and the taste is pretty darn good. I actually covered my cake with it before class, so I wasn't under too much pressure. I then took extra fondant to make the cut-out flowers to decorate with and to make the bow. HTH

tcturtleshell Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 11:42pm
post #4 of

Don't be so nervous! Fondant isn't hard to work with at all. You don't have to baby it, if you mess up just roll it up & start again. I would call your instructor & ask if you could use MMF. She/he might not care what kind you use. I'm taking the new fondant/gumpaste class that Wilton is offering (in Feb) & I plan on using MMF. I'm just used to working with it. I really don't like Wilton's at all. Good luck! It's going to be a lot of fun!! You've made it this far! Have fun!! icon_smile.gif

tincanbaby Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 11:58pm
post #5 of

I'm taking course 3 also. I will use the Wilton stuff though, strictly because of convenience. I have used it before. I don't plan on eating it, will give the cake away.

cashley Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 11:58pm
post #6 of

My instructor gave us a recipie for fondant... not the MMF one and I came to class to decorate my cake to find out that I had used all the icing sugar and it was too stiff to roll out for my cake. Another person in my class and I split a box of fondant so I could get the feel of the texture and everything was fine. My instructor was impressed how quickly I had learned to use it and I used the rolled buttercream on my final cake and she loved it so much asked for the recipe. Most instructors like to learn from you as much as you learn from them.. Don't get stressed out over the class I loved my class and my teacher and still have contact with her. If you are nervous just buy a small box and use the coupon for michaels so you can learn then you can experiment at home with the kind you want to use.

TexasSugar Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:49am
post #7 of

Okay, as an instructor, I would say that you should use the premade stuff. The first night you will make the rose base with the fondant. I would also suggest you use it in Lesson 2 as well.

If you have never worked with fondant it helps to use a premade fondant, so that you know what the consistancy of it should be.

missyek Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:58am
post #8 of

I tell my students to at least work with the Wilton fondant for their first time using it. It really is a great consistency to work with and a great fondant to learn with. But, for their final cakes, if they want to use MMF, I am okay with that. icon_biggrin.gif

BobbiA Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 9:36pm
post #9 of

Don't worry about the class, you'll have a great time! Plus you have all this knowledge from the previous classes to help you out.

Since I am a newbie to this website, what is MMF? I've asked a few people and they don't know either.

awolf24 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 9:45pm

MMF - marshmallow fondant

I haven't used it before but many people love it. There are recipes here on CC - different variations. Some use marshmallows and some use marshmallow fluff.

koolaidstains Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 9:45pm

I'm a wilton instructor too. I recommend people buy fondant for the first night and for the first cake just to get a feel for what fondant should be like. I give out recipes and tell people they can make it for the last cake if they want.

I have a class now where someone is using Satin Ice. OMG that stuff is delicious, BUT it is quite a bit softer that the wilton stuff and a little harder to work with. It seems Wilton fondant is really made for beginners.

imnamor95 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:33am

Oh wow, thx for all ur replies! So, I def will use the Wilton fondant for the 1st two classes. I don't know y I am so nervous about this. Ugh. Oh well, hopefully, I'll be better as the date comes around, lol. Thx again! thumbs_up.gif

nglez09 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 2:36am

I'd buy the 5 lb. package instead of the 24 oz. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%