My First Wedding Cake....eeek!

Decorating By CoinUK Updated 29 May 2015 , 2:52am by beckalyn20

CoinUK Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 12:11am
post #1 of 20

Sooooooo nervous!!

I've been making cakes as a hobbyist doing them for fun for just over a year now. Pretty much all birthday cakes. All fondant based. In fact, you can see them on my facebook page here, if you're so inclined.

Coin's crappy cakes ;)

As you can, nothing spectacular, but I'm relatively happy with them. :)

So far I've been asked by people who I know in passing if I could do a simple wedding cake for the, but I've always resisted as I'm terrified that I'm going to be the one thing that spoils someone's big day and I didn't want that pressure for someone I barely know, but now I've been asked to do one for a pretty close friend.

I am sooooo scared!!

They say they aren't too worried about the cake and I believe them, both of them are not overly-dramatic or the sort of people to go big and they are having a low-budget, low-key kind of wedding, so I know they don't want anything too fancy, which is good, as I know that's beyond my skills. :)

They are going to show me the sort of thing they are after in the next few days and I'm confident in making the actual cakes themselves, it's just the decoration I'm worried about!

My question is do you all cope with this amount of pressure and naked terror! LOL

And also, does anyone have any tips on things I may not have thought about? I've already discussed the basics with both of the guys, what cakes they want, sizes, dates, costs (I only ever ask for ingredients, I'm not remotely confident enough in my cakes to ask for more, plus, this is for friends and I want to do it as a wedding gift as well) delivery arrangements, but I'm sure I've probably missed something. I did warn the guys I would be peppering them with questions over the next few weeks as I think of them.

Finally, does anyone know of any really good fruit cake recipes out there for a 10 inch cake? 

And someone remind me why I agreed to do this! LOL

19 replies
-K8memphis Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 20

oh stop -- your cakes are not crappy -- you show a really good range of skills too --

as far as your wedding cake order re: the pressure and naked terror (you made me laugh) -- it's one of those "when you're going through hell keep going" type of things -- no no no no no no no -- you'll do fine -- 

i haven't made a fruitcake in forever so i can't help with a recipe -- but...

here's an idea for you -- when you get the picture/idea of the decor they want -- come back over here and post it so we/i can walk you through it -- because some of the 'simplest' cakes can be the most complicated -- it's weird the way that works -- so that's my thought for you --

not to mention for the next cake please consider pricing the cake right up there where it should be and then as your gift to your friends give a nice discount -- you at least need to be able to afford a few valium hahahaha jk jk

oh, one other thing -- give yourself way more time than you think you need  -- oh this is great you're doing fruitcake no serious time constraints -- you're gonna be fine!

TheCakeNovelist Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 20

I've only done two weddings and only one was a full cake, so I'm not going to be much of a help, but I have to tell you that your James Bond cake is too cool for school--I love it! I think you're better at this than you're giving yourself credit for :)

I was in a similar situation, a friend of mine asked me to do her wedding cake (they were also very laid-back about the whole process, which always helps!) I was petrified because I was going to be at the wedding, so if anything went wrong everyone would know just where to point and laugh--but you know what? I had a blast doing it. We talked flavors and did a little tasting, decided on the design, and I drew up a schedule that gave me LOTS of time. There were some wrinkles the day of--specifically after being in a very cool, air conditioned room, the cake was brought into the not-so-cool venue and my little blue fondant stars slid down the sides of the cake leaving quite a few blue streaks in their wake. I was horrified, but the bride just said, "Hey, now they look like shooting stars!"

Thank God for wonderful friends!

You'll be fine, your cakes show a lot of technique--I agree with K8memphis, if you have any doubt as to the design pop it on here and see what kind of tips you can get.

Good luck!

CoinUK Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 20

Thanks for the support and the kind words! :) I'm sure that, like people on here probably are, I'm too critical of my own cakes but all I ever see is a mass of flaws, yet people seem to be happy with them! I'm not sure that I'll ever be truly happy with a cake once it's completed :)

I am looking forward to doing this one, despite the mass of nerves, just hoping they don't ask for anything too outlandish that's beyond my capabilities, but I'm pretty sure they will rein themselves in :D

Once they send me some ideas, I'll shout back on here.

me_me1 Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 9:12am
post #5 of 20

You've so got this, whatever design they go for you will be absolutely fine.  You've got the skills!

-K8memphis Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 20

CoinUK Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 9:11am
post #7 of 20

On a slight tangent for this discussion, they asked for the bottom tier to have a rainbow ribbon around the bottom as they are a gay couple getting married and want to reflect that.

No problem thinks I, easy to buy.......except every damn ribbon I see on the net is only 6 colours!!! Last time I checked, there were 7 in a proper rainbow!

I've found one place on eBay that does a 7 colour ribbon, but it's out of stock. Anyone know of anywhere that does an actual 7 colour rainbow??

Laetia Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 11:21am
post #8 of 20

I think the gay flag is actually 6 colors. I did a quick google search and that is what I found. You might be ok with the "easy to find" ribbon!

-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 20

idk but a thought is use the 6 color one and find a ribbon in the 7th color that is just wider than the 6 color one and see if that might work out somehow -- if they are all smooth ribbons without any hems or stitching on the edges it might work?

or you could paint a fondant ribbon too

Krypto Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 20
Annie8 Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 9:17pm
post #11 of 20

This ribbon on amazon has 7 colors.

You'll do great with your cake. Your work is pretty good on your facebook page! Sometimes weddings just feel overwhelmingly intimidating, but in reality, with the right couple and the right baker, they are not. :) Sounds like you have a nice couple to work with who have a realistic view of what they'd like. Keep the communication lines open and don't let your self-doubt show to them. You don't want to knock yourself down in front of your customer. Can't wait to see what design they'd like for their cake!

CoinUK Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 10:49pm
post #12 of 20

Quote by @Annie8 on 1 hour ago

This ribbon on amazon has 7 colors.

You'll do great with your cake. Your work is pretty good on your facebook page! Sometimes weddings just feel overwhelmingly intimidating, but in reality, with the right couple and the right baker, they are not. :) Sounds like you have a nice couple to work with who have a realistic view of what they'd like. Keep the communication lines open and don't let your self-doubt show to them. You don't want to knock yourself down in front of your customer. Can't wait to see what design they'd like for their cake!

Gahh! Rather frustratingly, that ribbon is perfect, a good price.....and not shippable to the UK :(

Guess I'll have to keep looking!

And thank you for the compliments from everyone!

It's one thing to hear them from friends and family, but there's always that worry about them just saying it to be nice, you all are expert cake decorators though, so it means a lot :)

I doubt I'll stop being nervous until I finish the cake though :D

Annie8 Posted 30 Mar 2015 , 12:03am
post #13 of 20

Darn! I hate it when I find something in another country that isn't available in the US.  Maybe it's worth emailing the company to see if they have any UK affiliates?

I totally understand about the nervousness! I was a wreck for my first wedding cake.  It does get better with each one! I'm sure if you think back to even your first birthday cake you made for someone, you would remember how nervous you were.  I only recently have learned how to simply say "thank you'' when someone compliments my cakes.  I always feel like I should point out the flaws or explain why it looks a certain way.  I suppose it's just part of how we are wired and it shows our desire to improve our craft.  We all want our cakes to be perfect, and it just kills us when they aren't.  

I do like your figure work on your cakes, especially Dobby! I struggle with making 3-d figures and it seems like you've really got an eye for them!

CoinUK Posted 26 May 2015 , 8:42pm
post #14 of 20

And so I have finally done my first wedding cake. And hopefully my last! :D

The cakes have been finished and you can have a look at them here

It wasn't without it's trials. First of all, made a rookie mistake and made the 10 inch bottom tier in a 12 inch tin. What an idiot, eh? :D Sadly, it was my first fruit cake and after deciding to cut it down to size, I realised just how bad fruit cake is for cutting!

Still, I got it done, and covered with marzipan without too much issue, plugging a few minor holes on it with the marzipan and covered well enough with fondant.

About a week before the collection date, they dropped a bombshell that it was not a single three tier cake they wanted, it was a 3 seperate tier cake as they had already got a stand for it to go on! After much rushing around Amazon, I managed to get the extra boxes and boards I needed on next day delivery. The the gods for Amazon Prime! :D

I did try and cover the boards with fondant but it was a nightmare to do so I ended up stopping that idea before I ran out of fondant.

I discovered that I HATE HATE HATE covering with white fondant! That stuff shows EVERY damn flaw, mark, blemish, dent.....everything! :D As the cake was to be a faily plain one, it mean little chance to cover up the flaws so I had to accept it as it was.

I managed to do all three cakes in ribbon well enough, so was pleased with that. I still think it would have looked better with all 3 ribbons being the blue but as a gay couple getting married, they wanted a rainbow ribbon as well, so was happy to oblige.

Then I made my first batch of royal icing and made it so hard I nearly broke my fingers trying to pipe it! After I thinned it out somewhat, it was a bit easier to pipe, but my piping skills are.....lacking. I managed to do a fairly basic set of scrolls on the cakes and some simple dots, which is all the guys wanted. 

As I say, my first and last wedding cake. I can't take the stress and the piping was dreadful! Clearly I need a LOT more practice! :D

beckalyn20 Posted 26 May 2015 , 8:55pm
post #15 of 20

If you enjoy doing it, you should not give up. Practice makes perfect and from you described I was expecting your cakes to look pretty bad. That is not the case at all! I just did my first wedding cake and it was BAD! i had to hand make over 100 fondant flowers, and my buttercream was melted (luckily i know what the problem was now) i do not think your cakes are as bad as you describe. :) 

-K8memphis Posted 26 May 2015 , 9:33pm
post #16 of 20

i think you did a very good job -- yes you did -- even the piping that you want to discredit -- nope sorry, it's well done piping -- nice work

CoinUK Posted 26 May 2015 , 10:59pm
post #17 of 20

Thank you both :)

I'm not planning on giving up cake making, I love doing it too much! I'm just not planning on doing a wedding cake ever again! :D

As for the piping, I'm guessing I just need to practice more, especially at getting the consistency of royal icing better suited for piping. I never realised just how fast it goes from soft to rock solid! 

Onwards and upwards! :)

BakerBlackCat Posted 26 May 2015 , 11:45pm
post #18 of 20

I think they look gorgeous!!!  Just beautiful!!  Lucky lucky friends to have a baker like you in their lives!

CoinUK Posted 28 May 2015 , 9:04pm
post #19 of 20

Little update, just been sent a pic from one of the grooms of the cake at the venue on the stand and it doesn't look too bad!

They changed the blue ribbon on the tiers, presumably to match the colour scheme better, and also added toppers to each tier, which I completely agree with as I felt they looked bare without them, and it doesn't look too bad :)

By all accounts from the friends I have who went to the wedding, it's being well received and people are raving about the taste, which is the main thing :)

Still never making another wedding cake though! :D

beckalyn20 Posted 29 May 2015 , 2:52am
post #20 of 20

Your crazy if this is seriously your last wedding cake! You are your own worst critic. They look great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%