Gold Writing And Dusting Products???

Decorating By Laurenbem1 Updated 3 Apr 2015 , 8:51pm by MadamePattiKakes

Laurenbem1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurenbem1 Posted 26 Mar 2015 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I'm making a 50th anniversary cake and need to do the writing on the cake in gold.

Can anyone recommend a good product to use that will give me a nice effect when writing?

Also for dusting/painting and decorating fondant flowers, fondant balls and hearts?

Any recommendations would be a great help

Thanks x

4 replies
jessicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicake Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 3:04am
post #2 of 5

I am NO expert on this, but I have used this mixture:

2 tsp gold luster dust + 2 tsp powdered sugar + enough alcohol to make a paste, then gradually add 1 tsp piping gel.  

To this mixture I have added gold disco dust and more luster dust.  It is truly a glitter gel, but you can pipe with it.  It is not the greatest because it is so sticky, and it stays sticky!  Wilton had a "Sparkle Gel" that I imagine is about the same thing.  I have not tried it yet, but I will.  

Otherwise, I think most decorators will pipe with royal icing and then paint over it with a mixture of luster dust and alcohol.  

Hope that helps!

Laurenbem1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurenbem1 Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you... will try both of these methods over the weekend

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 5

Don't use disco dust on anything that's going to be eaten it's ground-up plastic and isn't considered to be an edible food product.

MadamePattiKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadamePattiKakes Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 5

My recommendation would be to do the writing in royal icing (any color really), then paint over it with the gold luster/vodka mixture.  So long as your cake is not buttercream, the royal will work great.  If you're doing all buttercream, you can use the premixed Wilton decorator icing in yellow, let it dry so it's crusted, then paint over it with the gold mixture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%