Casacading Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By rachpizano Updated 1 Apr 2015 , 2:23pm by 4laynes

rachpizano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachpizano Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 6

I have done lots of wedding cakes but I have never had to make gumpaste flowers casacading off a wedding cake until now... I am making a 3 tier fondant cake with roses peonies, hydrangeas, and possibly bluebonnets.. the bride wants the flowers to go from the top of the cake cascading to the bottom.  The flowers kinda curving around the cake as they go down instead of just straight down.... So my questions is where do I start with the placement of the flowers .. is there a video or tutorial for cascading flowers? And will the floral wire be enough to support the flowers on the side of the cake... Thanks so much!!! 

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Mar 2015 , 4:28am
post #2 of 6

Start at the bottom.  Those flowers with provide a bit of support to the flower above, and so on until you work your way to the top of the cake.  The floral wire always worked fine for me.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 26 Mar 2015 , 6:42am
post #3 of 6

...but don't stick the bare wire in the cake!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Mar 2015 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 6

I always used the fabric coated wire.  If you want to be uber safe, you can always stick a small straw (like a coffee stirrer) into the cake and insert the wires into that.  I know there's a lot of discussion on here about putting wire into cake.  pshaw.  I think there's much more risk to having your cake sit on display at a venue for several hours, with peoples hands touching it (you know they do) or random people sneezing on it as they walk by.  

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Mar 2015 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 6

Here's a video I did for a customer who had bought the flowers from me and wanted tips on doing the cascade.

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 6

Craftsy has a class byJohn Rosselle that is called 'Arrangng Sugar Flowers From Classic to Contemporary" that is on sale today if you're interested.  One of his arrangements is a beautiful cascade.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%