Color Bleeding In Icing

Decorating By Mish22 Updated 27 Sep 2005 , 11:59am by CakemanOH

Mish22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mish22 Posted 22 Sep 2005 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 5

Hi All,

I am really new to cake decorating and I am not sure where I went wrong with this....

I iced my cake with a sage green icing- granted it came out a bit darker then I intended but...

Then I added white balls along the bottom & top and then piped pink corneli lace on the top. All of the white & pink icing absorbed the green & it looks really disgusting now. I don't know what I did wrong?????? It is so ugly I wanted to throw away my cake decorating equipment icon_cry.gif ! Please help!!

Thanks so much- I appreciate any help or tips!!!

Mish icon_smile.gif

4 replies
nightowl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nightowl Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 5

Which icing consistency did you use? It sounds like it might have been too thin. I've had trouble sometimes with icing colors separating (looking sort of marbled) when I've added a lot of coloring. Don't give up! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 1:25am
post #3 of 5

I agree...It sounds like the icing was too thin and maybe not enough shortening and butter.Shortening and butter helps stop bleeding because of the grease content.Try a different recipe!!

katiebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiebug Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 5

I think the color bleeding has a lot to do with the icing you use. Crusting ones seem to bleed the most. My DD made a cake for the fair and I had her use the wiltons class buttercream so it would hold up better , we used the same brand of colors , in fact several of the colors where the same and her cake bled after one day of sitting. Now mine was made with a non-crusting and it never bleed and is sat out for over 5 days.

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 11:59am
post #5 of 5

Crisco Breaks down too. If you use a good quality icing product like Alpine you can use less and do not have to use butter so it holds in higher temps better too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%