mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 10:10pm
post #1 of

I haven't made a chocolate transfer yet...and was wondering...can you use chocolate chips? I have some white choc chips, could I melt those down & just color them to do it?

icon_confused.gif

7 replies
jcakes17 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 10:21pm
post #2 of

Ive never tried it but i think it just might work.

turtlemom_9500 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 10:25pm
post #3 of

I'm not really sure. I posted a similar topic a while back. I have never tried a chocolate transfer and was wondering the process. IF I'm correct, someone posted the best way is to use the colored chocolate melts. I'm not sure though since Ive never done one myself..

playingwithsugar Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 10:31pm
post #4 of

Most hocolate chips are formulated to keep their shape when baked. I will not say you cannot use them, because they do melt, but they do not melt as nicely as regular chocolate does. Add 1/2 to 1 ounce of cocoa butter to it, to thin it down for piping.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

patton78 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 10:33pm
post #5 of

I have never used chocolate chips but I would not recommend it. Chips are not meant to melt like bar chocolate or candy melts, they are made to withstand heat (ie think chocolate chip cookies, the chips hold their shape). You might run into trouble because although the chips will melt, it will not be as smooth and creamy as with bar chocolate or melts. When chips are melted, the end result is much thicker and may cause too many problems with trying to do a transfer.

Sugarshock Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 12:03am
post #6 of

I've tried using chocotlate chips for a transfer before and it was a mess. It took forever for them to harden and even after it did it never set right. The candy coating on the other hand took less than half the time to harden and set so I could work with the design.

ShirleyW Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 12:17am
post #7 of

I have used chocolate chips, Guittards being my favorite. But you need to add a little vegetable oil, Crisco or Paramount crystals with the chocolate when melting them. The oil gives the chocolate a bit more flexibility as well as shine. For a 12 oz. bag of chips probably 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 5:07pm
post #8 of

Thanks for the feedback everyone!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%