Topsy Turvy Cake Questions

Baking By CynthiaBer Updated 25 Mar 2015 , 11:18pm by CynthiaBer

CynthiaBer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CynthiaBer Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 12

Hello, I am new to the cake baking world and now I had the great idea of making a topsy turvy cake.

I do not want it to fall apart as soon as I stack the cake so I will need good support. I was planning to attach a wooden stick in the middle of a thick cake board with a screw. Than put all 3 off the tiers on a cake board on the base, with dowels in each tier, except for the last tier. Can anybody tell me if this is a good support for a cake like this?

I also would like to know what sort of cake is best to use for a stacked cake. I would like to make all the tiers a different flavour, I was thinking about a chocolate cake, a vanilla cake and a fruit flavoured cake. It would be great Iif anybody could help me with these questions. 

11 replies
CynthiaBer Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 12

Oh and how do you cut a cake like that?

Alisa555 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alisa555 Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 12

Wickedgoodies.net has a good topsy turvy tutorial.  It does not show specifically how the cake is supported, but I have made topsy turvy cakes like this using dowels (or whatever type of cake supports you like to use) the same as I would for any tiered cake.  Then run a dowel through the middle of the cake, all the way through each tier into the cake board/drum.

CynthiaBer Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 12

Ah thank you. So how I was planning to do it wil be quit good than I hope haha.

I have a really cool book about carved cakes, they use madeira cake for these, would those do a good job? 

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 2:50am
post #5 of 12

Topsy turvy cakes are quite hard if you have never done them before and don't have much experience with cake making.  So you need to study and practice the technique as much as possible.  It is actually an optical illusion and these are really 2 different types; either the one that is carved and "sits" inside the tier below it or the other type that used "wedges" to tilt it and requires a much more involved structure.  I do the first type of topsy turvy cakes very often and they have become very easy for me but many bakeries around here wont even try them since they are so hard.

CynthiaBer Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 12:33pm
post #6 of 12

It does indeed look very complicated. I did found a great tutorial where they just carved the sides, they also sliced the middle on an angle and put both of the higher sides against eachother to make the angle on top. Then they just put some ganach or buttercream on top and covered it with fondant. After that they made a hole in the middle, straight to the bottom so it would be in the right place. Placed the dowels in and putted the cakes on top of eachother.

This was how I am planninh to do it because it does look so neat and good. I do have a little bit of experience but not as much as I would like to haha. I can make some nice fondant decoration, can get on with buttercream and my flowerpaste flowers are not to bad but I've  never made a carved cake.

CynthiaBer Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 12

How do you cut a carved cake?

Alisa555 Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 12

I freeze the cake and use a serrated knife (like a bread knife) to cut the shape.  I do think Reginaherrin is right that the one that is shown on wicked goodies.net is a little bit more complicated - there is more carving than the type where on tier sits inside the other.  I did put together a mini tutorial for carving topsy turvy for the tiers that sit inside each other that I will post as soon as I find the photos:)

CynthiaBer Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 5:13pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you so much. Can you maybe also tell me how you cut a cake like this and what type of cake is the best for it?

CynthiaBer Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 12

Can anybody tell me what type of cake works best for carved cakes like this?

Alisa555 Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 10:53pm
post #11 of 12

I have used just about all of the recipes I have for carved cakes - I have even had good luck with cake mix extender recipes also.  Dense cake recipes work really well like pound, probably a madeira or chocolate mud cake would work well too.  I have used carrot cake (with nuts chopped finely) which worked.  Fruit cakes (with fruit chunks) might not work just because it would leave the surface bumpy when you carve it since fruit pieces would pull out.

CynthiaBer Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 11:18pm
post #12 of 12

Please stop doing this. It is very annoying and I don't really care about a fake passport. I have a real one and I am so not Iinterested in this so please stop it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%