Whipped Cream Frosting For A Chocolate Cake With Chessecake Filling

Decorating By arrira Updated 25 Mar 2015 , 12:21pm by 810whitechoc

arrira Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 2:58am
post #1 of 5

I am a hobby baker who usually bakes very few cakes a year ( mostly for special occasions of family and friends). I am avid follower of cake central and have always come here and checked the forums when i have any query. Usually i find the answers to most of them, but since the forums is not working i thought i will post my query.

I am planning to bake a chocolate cake with cheesecake filling ( something like a cheesecake factory 30th anniversary cake ) for  a birthday party on this weekend. 

I want to frost the cake with chocolate whipped cream frosting instead of ganache. Also i wanted to use the chocolate whipped cream between the layers of the cake. 

I am using chocolate whipped cream as i need a lighter frosting.

Has anyone here used chocolate whipped cream to frost a chocolate cake with cheesecake filling? Does it taste as good as a ganache frosting ?

please share your suggestions.  

Thanks in advance.

4 replies
810whitechoc Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 9:29am
post #2 of 5

We use a light whipped chocolate Ganache if we want a lighter finish.  It is a refrigerated product so doesn't work under fondant cakes, but is great with cheesecakes or dessert cakes.

Basically it's 1 part chocolate to 2 parts cream, I microwave the two together, but you can use the regular ganache saucepan method if you want.  Stir until completely smooth, put a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface so it doesn't form a skin and refrigerate overnight.  Don't skip this step, if you try and whip it too soon it will curdle.

Next day whip as you would whipped cream until it forms firm peaks. We use it as a filling, a piped topping on cupcakes or a coating on the outside of a cake.

Your cake sounds delicious! 

arrira Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 10:23am
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much for your reply. Can I use milk chocolate or semi sweet chocolate to make the ganache? 

arrira Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 5

Quote by @810whitechoc on 3 hours ago

We use a light whipped chocolate Ganache if we want a lighter finish.  It is a refrigerated product so doesn't work under fondant cakes, but is great with cheesecakes or dessert cakes.

Basically it's 1 part chocolate to 2 parts cream, I microwave the two together, but you can use the regular ganache saucepan method if you want.  Stir until completely smooth, put a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface so it doesn't form a skin and refrigerate overnight.  Don't skip this step, if you try and whip it too soon it will curdle.

Next day whip as you would whipped cream until it forms firm peaks. We use it as a filling, a piped topping on cupcakes or a coating on the outside of a cake.

Your cake sounds delicious! 

Also i will not be covering the cake in fondant. It will be just a ganache or whipped cream frosting. Thank you so much for taking time to answer my query.

810whitechoc Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 5

Yes you can use either milk or semi sweet chocolate for this.  I sometimes dissolve coffee with milk chocolate to make a mocha whipped Ganache.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%