Help Wedding Cake Icing Disaster

Decorating By weeducks Updated 25 Mar 2015 , 12:04pm by Snowflakebunny23

weeducks Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 9

Can anyone help me please. First time I have used fondant icing and it is on a fruit cake covered in marzipan...my only daughter's wedding cake!! All went well till I noticed yesterday that there is some dis- coloring of the white fondant as if the marzipan is leaching through. Wedding day is in a fortnight and thinking that the white may well turn spotty yellow by then, what can I do to save it. Please please help!   

8 replies
Maria18 Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 9

I was told by another cake decorator once that if you use clear vodka or rum On the marzipan to make the fondant stick it avoids causing stains on the fondant. 

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 9

Can you tell what is showing through?  I use apricot glaze to attach the marzipan to the cake and then brush on a thin brushing of of brandy to attach the fondant to the marzipan.  I have never had any staining issues.  I would strip off the fondant layer atleast and do it again if the blotching doesn't disappear :-)  Pictures may help...

weeducks Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 10:56am
post #4 of 9

Thank you both for your help. I brushed on brandy before the fondant. Hubbie thinks I am fussing over nothing but me being a Virgo.... he also thinks it is probably the almond oil from the marzipan and it has happened because I have the cake in a warm room. Have moved it to a cooler room and taken some photos but can't seem to copy them to this reply! Gosh beginning to feel rather inadequate!! 

-K8memphis Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 11:06am
post #5 of 9

If you put your photo in the gallery first then you can copy & paste to a post or at least provide a link -- the "?help" up on the purple banner below the cake central logo will tell you how to download into the gallery -- but it's found on a computer not a mobile device --

weeducks Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 11:18am
post #6 of 9

this is a trial run decorating cake   

wedding cake 

weeducks Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 11:21am
post #7 of 9

when the disaster was spotted just under the bottom tier ribbon. Not sure if you can spot the spotting but it is only in this part ...at the moment :{

wedding cake    

weeducks Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 11:23am
post #8 of 9

Thank you K8memphis   Was too scared to put them in the gallery for all the world to see :}

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 12:04pm
post #9 of 9

I can't really see the picture very well but it looks like there could be some cracking there...could it be that the fondant is thin, cracked a little and it is just the brandy melting through?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%