Royal Icing

Decorating By CakePrincess16 Updated 24 Mar 2015 , 5:08am by Ellie33

CakePrincess16 Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 2:56am
post #1 of 7

Hey everyone, I'm  new to cake baking/decorating and have to say I'm  learning so much from all of you. My question is about royal icing. I have been using the edible glue to stick all my stuff on but find that when I want something to be on the side of the cake, or on an edge or slope, my decoration tends to slip. I have to hold it for a while or press it tightly, and recently whe. I woke up the next day, the sash on my preggo belly cake had slightly slipped....leaving behind a melted fondant streak. In this case it wasn't  very noticeable except to me, but  I'm  afraif of it happening  on a grander scale. Will royal icing work better to stick? Or some other medium? And if so is there a way to make small batches of it? I see recipes and even the Wilton box one, but they all make big amounts. Thanx in advance.

6 replies
julia1812 Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 4:51am
post #2 of 7

I guess it depends what you want to attach to what.

I don't use RI because I don't see the point of making it to then use maybe a tsp of it.

Small gum paste/ fondant decoration sticks to fondant almost by itself. If not I use a tiny amount of water or edible glue.

If I have bigger pieces to attach I use skewers or toothpicks. If it's delicate but heavy things like huge flowers which need to be attached to the side, I use wire and straws (never put only the wire in cakes!).

CakePrincess16 Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 4:55am
post #3 of 7

Well it as to attach pieces of gumpaste loops to make a ribbon. I finally did it on a suggestion in tutorial to much it up and wet it and shove the pieces in. It wasn't that easy.Had to play around with it. Then I saw a tutorial and she used RI and it seemed so much easier. BU I haven't tried it because, as you said, then it gets thrown away.

julia1812 Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 5:15am
post #4 of 7

I always make a bow in one piece and let it dry a bit. If it needs to be attached to the side and wouldn't rest on something like the tier below or the cake board, I would insert a wire hidden at the back of the bow before drying.

CakePrincess16 Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 7

Thanx! The side decoration is a flower...bow is on top...but I dont think I can get a wire in the flower. The center is pretty flat. Maybe just push it on slightly for extra support. 

ropalma Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 7

Piping Gel works very well to attach fondant to fondant or fondant/gumpaste mix to fondant.   If doing on the side of the cake I put some toothpicks to hold the piece while the piping gel dries.  I then take the tootpicks out, so make sure you insert them where the small hole will not be noticeable after it is removed.   I do agree that if the object is extremely heavy still use piping gel but you will need to have some type of support that you will need t leave in in addition to the piping gel.

Ellie33 Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 5:08am
post #7 of 7

Melted chocolate works well as a glue too.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%