Banquet Hall Cut Cake To Serve Over 130 And Only Had 100 Pieces!

Business By Psyched baker Updated 23 Mar 2015 , 1:45pm by -K8memphis

Psyched baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Psyched baker Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 1:51am
post #1 of 13

I am wondering if something like this has happened to anyone else. I have a licensed residential bakery and made a cake to serve 130 for an event that I was also attending. Dessert is served and I see waiters with cake that is not mine but the venues defrosted Black Forest cake (yuck). I asked my waiter what was happening and he said (after going back and talking with the kitchen staff) they only got 100 pieces out of the cake. The cake was a three tiered all three layers huge cake that should have served at least 130. He said they cut the sides off. I think they actually cut it into a square to make their lives easier. The pieces that they cut were very small -1 inch by 2 inches-standard wedding size. My blood pressure is up just thinking about it! Is this standard practice? Has this happened to anyone else? Here is a picture of the cake. 

12 replies
Psyched baker Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 1:53am
post #2 of 13
Psyched baker Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 2:17am
post #3 of 13

I can't add the picture right now but the cake was a 12" three layer, 10" three layer and 8" three layer. I just think of the waste involved and it makes me mad! How lazy. 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 2:42am
post #4 of 13

That's very frustrating but according to the below Wilton guide your tiers do fall a little shy of 130.  They should have come up with 118.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-serving-guide.cfm

Maybe moving forward you might want to include a cutting chart so they can see how they can get the correct number of servings.  Not everyone knows how to cut a wedding cake.  There are some "baking celebrities" who advocate cutting the round into a square to make serving easier.  This one woman even said the cut aways were for the kitchen staff to snack on!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 4:17am
post #5 of 13

Honestly, your cake was short on servings.  To get 130 servings, you would make a 6/10/14.  And always,always provide a cutting chart.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 4:40am
post #6 of 13

I even only get 88 pieces using the party servings

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 10:00am
post #8 of 13

Upsetting for you, but I'm sorry I only get 116 slices, what sizing charts are you using?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 10:37am
post #9 of 13

An 8-10-12 would give you about 118 servings if the pieces are cut a little on they small end of the standard serving. But for 130 guests that should have been enough because not everyone has the cake at weddings, but at an event where everyone just sits there until they're served the whole dinner + dessert you should have made a bigger cake.

If they only got 100 servings out of it them they did have some waste.

Look at it as a learning experience, and just add the questions about whether it will be a dinner where everyone is served at their tables or whether it's a situation where people will have been up and dancing and at the bar before the cake is cut. Each type of event asks for a different serving count for the cake. 

Psyched baker Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 11:22am
post #10 of 13

Thanks for the responses and advice. I was basing it off of the Wilton guide but made the mistake of thinking that the cake would go further since each tier was 6" high. 

Luckily this was a charitable donation and the venue didn't charge for the fill in pieces they supplied. 

It sounds like they were lucky to get as many as pieces as they did after cutting the sides off.

Thanks again!

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 12:37pm
post #11 of 13

A 6 inch tall cake should go further than a 4 inch tall cake. There's more cake! 

You made more than enough cake.

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 1:38pm
post #12 of 13

Every single cake that leaves my premises has instructions and a cutting chart.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 1:45pm
post #13 of 13

cakes are cut by the footprint not by the height -- for a tall tier you can cut a little bit thinner slice as they must have to cut off the edges and still get 100 servings but it's still cut by the footprint from top to bottom -- i never give cutting charts/instructions because no one ever used them -- i instruct the client at the consult to be very aware of who cuts the cake and how in order to get their money's worth -- always works for me

the only way a six inch tall cake yields appreciably more servings than a four inch tall cake is if there's a board three inches up

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%