Fondant Fish Topper...help!

Decorating By Keenerl8 Updated 22 Mar 2015 , 11:40pm by Keenerl8

Keenerl8 Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 7

I am a beginner and I need to make a fondant fish cake topper. I'm not sure how to do it. I have ideas in my head, but don't have the time to experiment:/

Here's the fish:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/21/08/4b/21084b0fb6dd84349b92c8ed180a0b92.jpg

thank you!!

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 7

one way would be to roll out fondant that has cornstarch kneaded in -- say a coupla tablespoons to a handful of fondant -- roll it almost a quarter inch thick -- make several and leave that bottom fin real long so you can anchor it down into the cake -- but you want to make it in advance so it has several days time to dry out so you can handle it -- or you can put it in a very low oven no higher than 150 degrees -- which is like the pilot light on a gas stove or in a warming drawer -- it dries in a few hours that way -- but don't touch it while it's warm it's malleable while warm --

you might need to support it:

• use a guy wire type support halfway up the back of the fish then into the cake -- cover with piping to disguise it --
  • you could adhere some dowel or popsicle sticks with chocolate

color it with:

• americolor gourmet edible ink markers
  • make royal icing and pipe on the colors
  • you could color fondant and cut out the different pieces to lay on there - just moisten the back with water and it will stick -
  • you could color it with paint you make out of gel or powdered food color and lemon extract 

Keenerl8 Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 7

You answered most questions I had!!! Awesome!

what is a guy wire?

-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 7

like y'know the wires they attach to a tall pole to keep it upright -- they attach one end of the wire part way up the pole and then run other end down into the ground -- that kind of support to keep the fish from falling backwards - does that make sense? 

the pole would have guy wires all around it to hold it in every direction --

the fish would just have one or two where it would rest slightly against it where it's just propped up -- we enlisted a lot of popsicle sticks for this 'duty' - slide it into the cake first and rest it against the fish -- glue with icing

Keenerl8 Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 7

Should I make two identical sides? Lay them flat together or roll a fondant ball to plump it out?

-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 7

the only reason i said to make more than one is for back up -- if you screw it up you have another one -- plus if you make more than one the later models often come out better -- but you still have the first one if the 'better' ones break --

most cakes have a front and a back so it's up to you if you want it to be two sided - often the other side is not viewed - just depends on where it will be placed --

Keenerl8 Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 7

Is there a fondant or paint to buy that has the glitter or shimmer effect? I figured I just used regular fondant and painted the shimmer on top. 

Do I have to let the fondant dry before I paint?

thank you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%