Do You Serve A Frosted Cake Right Side Up Or Right Side Down?

Baking By almac50 Updated 22 Mar 2015 , 1:55pm by yortma

almac50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
almac50 Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 10:52am
post #1 of 3

Hi all, first time posting as having trouble with the search to find an answer to my question.

I have started a small cake tin hire business in my local area (australia) and the first two people with my number cake tins sent me photos of their creations. interestingly BOTH had turned the cake out, flipped it back right side up and iced it. needless to say BOTH cakes the number was facing the wrong direction. Neither realised until i pointed it out. 

Apart from both not noticing (understandable), i was talking to my grandmother who said she always served the cakes right side down and never trimed the domed top off the cake as it always just got squished in when put on the cake board. (80 years of experience mind you) and that the 'bottom' of the cake that was now on top was much better to start icing from. 

Just wondering if it is common practice to serve a cake right side down as it has always been my habit to turn cake out, flip over and trim the top then ice. 
Just curious as to what your standard practice is. All the number tins are made in this fashion so wondering if that is the norm.

thanks, alison.

2 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 11:36am
post #2 of 3

Here is a link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/tutorial/20154/upside-down-icing-technique-for-perfectly-smooth-icing

I do turn my cakes upside down too, because after trimming off the doom or cake skin I find the too to crumbly and difficult to ice.

LOL, not so good if doing numbers

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 3

It varies, depending. (My cakes are usually 3 or 4 levels for each tier.)   I level everything with an Agbay and crumb coat, so not a big difference either way, but if no other issues, I turn the top level upside down because it is easier to crumb coat the browned bottom side (now up).  If I have white cake with a colored filling (raspberry, chocolate, etc) I turn the browned bottom toward the filling as much as possible to "hide" the visible brown line when cutting the cake or Agbay off the brown bottom anyway if the filling is light colored.  For the same reason so the brown line doesn't show,  I turn the browned side down for the bottom level. If chocolate cake, doesn't matter.   Sometimes no choice - topsy turvy pans (cake upside down)  asymmetrically shaped pans depending on whether the pan is true or reversed.  Basically, whatever works!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%