Do People Eat Your (Gumpaste) Decorations?

Decorating By B-Line Updated 21 Mar 2015 , 8:42pm by -K8memphis

B-Line Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
B-Line Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 6

I have been doing my royal icing flowers with RI calyxes and leaves.  They're not all that realistic and honesty from a looks perspective, I'd prefer to use gumpaste calyxes and leaves.   But I'm concerned about people eating them.

Do you tell people that they really shouldn't be eaten?  Or do you let them just find out?

Kids don't seem to care one way or the other, so I've started using only skewers and toothpicks where I can and warning the parents ahead of time.  But I don't know an adult who likes the taste/texture of gumpaste, and I don't want someone to be unhappy because they found something unappetizing when it really wasn't meant to be eaten in the first place.

Anyway, would like to have a discussion on this, I couldn't find one in a search.

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 6

boys will eat anything -- it's especially intriguing to them if you say 'don't eat that' ;) that's why as much as possible i like to do all edibles -- but it's not always possible

B-Line Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 6

Well technically gumpaste is edible, it just doesn't taste good.

I'm concerned about getting a comment or even a thought that I put something bad tasting on a cake.  I usually tell people to remove large gumpaste decs and figures from cakes before serving.  But I don't want to have to tell people to remove every scrap of decoration you know?

-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 6

i getcha -- you'd think the wires would be a clue -- i think i'd describe gum paste as not inedible ;)

there's a ton of decoration that can be made with fondant and cornstarch and raspberry oil that tastes and chews like candy so that's what i use as much as possible --

yes i agree with you i want people to enjoy my work visually and the fact that it is tasty -- i don't like to give instructions to clients to remove this and that -- it goes against the grain -- they are buying food after all

B-Line Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 6

Wires are pretty obvious, but I don't usually do wires in my RI flowers.  But I want to start adding gumpaste touches to my RI decs is the problem.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 6

exactly what kind of gum paste decoration -- the calyxes and leaves? easy peasy add some cornstarch to fondant  and use that -- add some flavoring if you want -- add several tablespoons to a handful of fondant -- it will hold no problem-o

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%