Madeira Cake Problem

Baking By JennyWren19 Updated 21 Mar 2015 , 1:31pm by -K8memphis

JennyWren19 Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 11:23am
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone,

I have been making celebration cakes for a good few years now and have never had a complaint. I do not sell my cakes but make them for family and friends. I donated two for my daughters PTA last night and there were complaints they were not cooked. I have always used Lindy Smiths recipe and the same ingredients. I used a 6 egg recipe for each cake and baked the two halves seperately. Skewer came out clean for all four halves in various places and checked all pieces before I butter creamed them. They were fine, no inconsistency because I wouldnt have used them. I have a sample of cut cake, Its not uncooked, there are areas where the colour is slightly darker than other areas but only slightly. Does this just mean some bits are more moist than others? Ive broken bits apart and all is cooked. How do I reassure people that it was cooked? This is why I only bake for fun. I have emailed Lindy and her team for reassurance but obviously she cant professionally help me. Would really appreciate your comments. I wasnt at the event and people got involoved that dont bake cakes, they pulled my cakes. Which is what I would have wanted. But I am now concerned that things might have been said to confirm the cakes were raw! I understand the customer is always right as they sold my cake to raise funds for the PTA but what can I do? 

1 reply
-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 2

Quote by @JennyWren19 on 1 hour ago

Skewer came out clean for all four halves in various places and checked all pieces before I butter creamed them. They were fine, no inconsistency because I wouldnt have used them. I have a sample of cut cake, Its not uncooked, there are areas where the colour is slightly darker than other areas but only slightly. Does this just mean some bits are more moist than others? Ive broken bits apart and all is cooked. How do I reassure people that it was cooked? 

just some observations from what you've said plus i read the recipe here which may or may not be the exact way you make it: http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/2009/12/17/baking-the-perfect-madeira-cake/ 

i can get a clean skewer in my pound cake which is similar to yours  and it not be done because the skewer gets wiped off on the crispy crust --

if you had areas where it was darker and lighter and the directions for this say to gently fold in the flour -- that's where i do it different -- i mix my cakes on speed 4-5 of a 10 speed mixer for 2 minutes after all the ingredients are incorporated and bowl is scraped so that i am assured everything is fully emulsifed/combined --

we're so careful to emulsify the eggs, butter, sugar then we barely adhere the flour to the mixture -- which is why i do not like whipping egg whites separately for a cake -- i want a real good solid mixture not a weak weany one -- tasting egg white in a cake is appalling -- i'm off on a tangent -- oops -- anyway --

i don't think there's any way to reassure them it was cooked if they believe otherwise 

i can cook my pound cake for over 75 minutes and it still need more oven time because it fooled me and can come out with a mushy area -- i have a beautiful pan that is deeper than the usual bundt cake pan and it takes forever for the cake to fully bake --

if a cake batter -- and of course i don't know for sure -- is not fully incorporated it could come out with dark and light spots and not be fully cooked -- if others said it was suspect i would not attempt to convince them otherwise -- i would just apologize and say that i must have made a mistake --

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%