Shipping Cakes

Business By mkmathe Updated 21 Mar 2015 , 7:09am by auntginn

mkmathe Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 5

Has anyone found a good way to ship a cake? I've only done cakes locally, but I recently got a request to ship a cake out of state, and I'm a bit leery about how it's going to look when it gets to its final destination. Any thoughts???

4 replies
Pastrybaglady Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 5

I've never sent a cake but I have received a cake in the mail.  It was a sort of round glazed lemon poundcake.  It was small bubble wrapped in a lidded tin that fit perfectly and was in a cardboard box with some kind of insulation.  It was in pristine condition when it arrived and tasted very fresh.  So I take from my experience it needs to be a sturdy cake either glazed or fondanted.  The decorations would have to be simple and flat or painted on.  And the packing needs to be snug. Good luck!

Goreti Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 5

I have mailed two priority mail from Massachusetts to Texas but it was not for a paying customer.  The first one actually made it in better shape.  The cake was covered in chocolate ganache and then fondant.  I froze the cake & shipped it frozen.  It was there in two days.  I pretty much followed these directions  http://www.fondantflinger.com/2013/12/17/shipping-a-cake/   If you want to take a look at the before & after, it's this cake http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3173620/birthday-cake

maybenot Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 4:24am
post #4 of 5

I haven't done it--and would never do it for a paying client--but I might try it for family [someone that I really love because it would cost an arm and a leg].

I really think that without custom packaging and overnight shipping, it's a failure waiting to happen.  Standard shipping arrangements--UPS, FedEX, USPS--won't insure perishables, so when it arrives destroyed, no $ back.

auntginn Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 7:09am
post #5 of 5

I haven't tried but a baker friend of mine did 2.  And they had toppers as well.  What she did was completely decorate her cake and freeze it.  Then wrap with plastic food wrap as well as she could several times so everything was nice and tight.  then placed it in a large plastic bag, She placed it in the cake box and loaded it with the peanut stuff, then loaded all that into a styrofoam container that is made for perishables.  Boxed all that.  Labeled it with words like Fragile, Cake inside, This idea up. etc.  She put it in her freezer and waited for the last 1/2 hour from her post office final delivery pick up.  (she contacted them to ask what time that would be)

It went from Cali to NY and got there fine.  We got to see pics.  Looked good.

Yes we were on pins and needles the whole time thru.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%