Do You Give Discounts For Multiples Of Dozens Purchased?

Business By yummyvegan Updated 2 Apr 2015 , 8:02pm by yummyvegan

yummyvegan Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 14

I normally sell cookies at a local farmer's market- priced at $6 per half dozen and $10 for a dozen. I'm just venturing into cupcake land for personal orders. I sell them for $18 dozen. A customer purchased a dozen to "see if her daughter with dairy allergies liked them". The little one did and mom has asked for two dozen for a birthday party. My dilemma is: do I offer a small discount, $2 off the second dozen?

Does anyone structure their pricing this way? Or should I hold my price no matter?

Any feedback would be appreciated...thanks! 

13 replies
pastrypet Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 14

No discount.

Jedi Knight Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 14

I assume from your handle that they're vegan. 18/doz is cheap for baked goods that meet so many dietary requirements.

You should actually raise your prices.

Jenn123 Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 14

I wouldn't start giving discounts until they want 100 or more.

Pastrybaglady Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 14

At $1.50 per vegan cupcake?  Absolutely not!  In California you could easily double your price and you would still be considered reasonable.

yummyvegan Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 14

Quote by @Jenn123 on 13 minutes ago

I wouldn't start giving discounts until they want 100 or more.

Hahaha- that would give me a heart attack!

Thank you so much for your responses. I'm in FL and I priced them in line with other local sellers. They are a basic cupcake (yep, they're vegan) with piped frosting and I use Cake Boss for costing. I just always feel like I should discount volume purchases and I wasn't sure if that was the norm. I'm set straight with it now! 

SweetShop5 Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 14

I never offer a discount unless the person orders over 100.

Jedi Knight Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 8:17pm
post #8 of 14

Seriously though - twenty-four cupcakes is so NOT a volume purchase. It's a batch.

leah_s Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 14

^ this.

When your supplier gives you a discount, you can pass it on to your customers.  Or keep the difference and enjoy some profit. 

Here, a regular, non-vegan cupcake is $3.  So a doz is $36.  And two dozen are $72.

indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 10:01pm
post #10 of 14

Ditto Leah.  A discount is applicable when the quantity ordered is SO large that you actually save money because you are now buying supplies in HUGE volume.  My famous example is the car dealership who was ordering over 30 dozen cookies a WEEK.  So when someone asked for a volume discount, I would tell them, "I have a customer who orders over 300 cookies a week.  *THEY* get a discount.  What kind of volume were you looking at?"

Psyched baker Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 1:37am
post #11 of 14

Your prices are already pretty low (not sure where you live) so I would definitely not discount (especially if you are offering allergen friendly/dairy free/vegan). You may want to look at your costs and reevaluate your pricing to ensure that you are turning a reasonable profit. I give a discount on orders over 6 dozen cupcakes (typically 30/dz but will discount to 25 in that bulk). Good luck with it :)

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 3:37pm
post #12 of 14

That's just over 1gbp per cupcake...personally, I wouldn't even turn on the oven for that.  My basic vanilla cupcakes with a buttercream swirl are GBP2.50 each and I have a minimum order of 12.  The cake boss software is great for ingredients but make sure you also factor in the rest of your time - going to the shops, buying stuff, emailing customers, logging ingredients for food safety, gas, cleaning.  Time is money too... xx

indydebi Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 6:41pm
post #13 of 14

Happened back on this and need to make a correction on the above numbers.  Car dealership was ordering 30 dz a DAY.... almost 2000 cookies a week.  Sorry .... it's been awhile!  :/

yummyvegan Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 8:02pm
post #14 of 14

Quote by @indydebi on 58 minutes ago

Happened back on this and need to make a correction on the above numbers.  Car dealership was ordering 30 dz a DAY.... almost 2000 cookies a week.  Sorry .... it's been awhile!  :/

I am but a small one woman band working out of her home since August. Right now, I sell about 30 dozen cookies a week- I have my sights set on working up to such huge numbers as yours, but I'm close to my limit in my little oven now!

Every order I get, at this point, is important and critical to my success in growing this business: what seems like a mere batch that one wouldn't even turn their oven on for is a big deal to me!

I sold the cupcakes for $18/doz (which is the going rate in my area for vegan/gluten free) without a discount; both baker and buyer were very happy.  I appreciate the few posters who kindly gave constructive info and suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%