Over Mixed Icing?

Decorating By craftybanana2 Updated 20 Mar 2015 , 1:36am by Jenn123

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 6

Hello,

I use Indydeb's icing recipe and it seems I over mix it quite a bit. I let the mixer run for a good while 15-20minutes. I'm beginning to wonder if my mixer is on too high of a speed or that I'm using the wrong attachment. These are the three attachments I have: http://cdn.averiecooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Screen-Shot-2012-11-18-at-10.08.27-AM.png. The one I'm using is the one on the left (not the dough hook or the whisk). I mix on a speed 3-4. Would it be better if I used a lower speed or different attachment? I was thinking it might be worth it to get the paddle attachment (the one without the holes). The icing is just for cupcakes and I'll try smooshing it a bit tomorrow once it's rested a bit (or when I have time, ha ha).

And yes, I did search, but the search button isn't working for me, I keep getting error 500. I've already posted screen shots and the like on a relevant thread for Jackie to see.

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 6

i worked at a shop where the icing was mixed on low speed *forever and it came out great 

i worked at a shop where the icing was mixed on high *forever and it came out great

*forever meaning for a long time

so what is the problem with your icing -- too many air holes? if yes then --

you can get rid of most of them by gently stirring it in the mixer or by hand and if you add a bit of hot water that really helps

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 6

oh and the link did not work for me

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 19 Mar 2015 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 6

I don't use this recipe but my icing can get airy if the bowl is not completely full when mixing. It needs to be about to be but not quite overflowing any time you turn it on. (Which means I have a bucket of icing I re-fill from.)

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 19 Mar 2015 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 6

Quote by @-K8memphis on 1 day ago

i worked at a shop where the icing was mixed on low speed *forever and it came out great 

i worked at a shop where the icing was mixed on high *forever and it came out great

*forever meaning for a long time

so what is the problem with your icing -- too many air holes? if yes then --

you can get rid of most of them by gently stirring it in the mixer or by hand and if you add a bit of hot water that really helps

Yes, the air holes. I'll try the stirring. I was thinking it might also be because I'm using the 'paddle with holes' attachment. The link shows up fine for me, even when I'm not logged in. So maybe it's the browser you're using? I don't do mobile viewing (or DS viewing anymore).

Quote by @Jenn123 on 2 hours ago

I don't use this recipe but my icing can get airy if the bowl is not completely full when mixing. It needs to be about to be but not quite overflowing any time you turn it on. (Which means I have a bucket of icing I re-fill from.)

Yikes, that's a lot of icing! My bowl is a 5 qt, so that would be maybe a years worth for me. I only need it a few times a year, I mostly make cookies. any idea how much fat/powdered sugar for a 5 qt mixing bowl then? What attachment do you use to mix it with, the open-hole paddle or the other kind?

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 1:36am
post #6 of 6

Sorry, I make 100 lbs at a time on my big mixer and then store it in buckets. haha. I use the paddle on my small kitchenaide. I think the 5 qt holds around 8-9 lbs. of buttercream icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%