Ganache Filled Cake

Baking By cake_starter Updated 18 Mar 2015 , 6:06pm by -K8memphis

cake_starter Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 2

Hello everybody,

I'm very new to CC site and I see that there are amazing people here. I have just started baking and I was going to bake a cake for my friend's son's birthday.

I need few suggestions.

I'm planning to make chocolate cake with pure white buttercream frosting(as she need curious George theme) for this Saturday. I have some leftover Ganache in my fridge and I want to use this as my filling. Here are my questions.

1) Can I bake my cake on Wednesday, cut into layer and use the ganache for filling (it is 1:1 ratio ) and then crumb coat?
2) once its crumb coated with butter cream, can I freeze the cake so it will be easy for me to frost it?
3) on Friday evening I want to frost the cake and re-freeze it.
4) on Saturday morning, I want to draw curious george on the cake (trace the outline with piping gel and fill with stars) and I also have some fondant monkeys and bananas that I want to stick to the cake sides and borders.

Can I follow above plan, the cake is for evening. Will ganache be OK by then? Can I apply fondant characters on frozen cake?

Thanks a bunch in advance. 

1 reply
-K8memphis Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 2

i do something similar but i have all my recipes tested in advance so i already know what freezes and thaws ok -- ganache should be ok but you have time to test it too -- everybody's fridge/freezer /humidity is different -- test with a small portion of ingredients -- see if you like the way it slices after it is thawed --

if using butter in the cake batter -- butter does not usually 'relax' back to room temp without a little heat applied -- and after a cake is iced you really can't microwave it successfully -- so eat a piece and see if it feels firm down the back of your throat -- then eat a piece of fresh and see if there's a softer slide down the tubes difference -- this is why lots of scratch cakes are deemed 'dry' when they are actually only bound up a bit by the butter --

one thing i do different is i do not freeze after icing -- your #3 -- i would just fridge it so it could be slowly defrosting overnight --  otherwise you would probably encounter condensation issues on the surface of the cake when you're trying to decorate it --

as for fondant characters on frozen cake -- yes you can but for the same condensation issues it would be better to have it defrosted first -- 

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%