Help With An Edible Image

Decorating By sykescakes Updated 4 Apr 2015 , 10:42pm by icingimages

sykescakes Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a Harry Potter cake for a birthday and I had the Hogwarts crest printed as an edible image. I have never worked with an edible image before and I was just wondering when the best time to apply the image is. I'll be making the cake the day before but was thinking I would wait to apply to image until a few hours before the party to avoid bleeding of the colors. I that necessary? Also I read that if the frosting has crusted over that I should spray a little water on the frosting so the image will stick, will this work for the sides of the cake as well? Any input is appreciated! Thanks :)

5 replies
cake_starter Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 6

I recently did an edible image cake. I had cake baked, frosted a day before. I applied the fondant on friday night and after about an hour, I applied edible image.Before applying the image i brushed very little water on fondant. I used wet brush and lightly brushed on the area where i was going to place the image. It was perfect. I used the cake next day (saturday). 

TheresaCarol Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 6

I have applied an image two days before the needed day and the image has been fine.  If using buttercream icing, you want to make sure you leave enough time for the image to "soak" into the buttercream so that the image sticks to the buttercream when cutting the cake.  Depends on how soft and moist your buttercream icing is.  

The only time I have had an issue with bleeding was when I used them on cookies then put the cookies in an air-tight container; what a mess!  The images smeared so badly I couldn't see them.

sykescakes Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 6

I will be using buttercream frosting. So from you comments I'm thinking that I will frost the cake and then apply the image the night before so it has some time to "soak' into the frosting (something I hadn't thought about!). Then store the cake in a non-air-tight contained. I have a cake box that I will be transporting the cake in that I think will work well for that. Thanks so much for your responses!

cupadeecakes Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 6

If your buttercream is dark, it can really darken your edible image.  Usually, if I'm putting an edible image on buttercream, I will cut a small piece of white fondant or modeling chocolate to put the image on.  Just cut it the same size as your image and you'll never know it's there.  It helps keep the image looking as nice and clean as when it came off the printer.  I just use the tiniest dab of shortening to adhere the image to the fondant.

icingimages Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 6

Actually, it will depend on the brand of frosting sheet that you are using.  If you have Icing Images brand, the image will have a clear backing on it then it will be fine on all colors of frosting.  Icing Images brand is relabeled by several companies, but the clear backing is the sign that it is the Premium Icing Images brand and will work on all different color frosting or fondant!

Icing Images
Recipient of the 2015 Sweet Life Hall of Fame Award

Quote by @%username% on %date%